Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New extrude hotkey is confusing and buggy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
michael_grosberg
549 Views, 2 Replies

New extrude hotkey is confusing and buggy

I'm not sure if this is the right place for a bug report but I haven't found any other.

I just switched from 3ds max 2020 to 2021 and there's one thing that's really bugging me (pun not intended but it does fit). In past versions, holding the shift key while translating polygons would duplicate them, but in 2021 this has been changed to extrude and to duplicate you need to hold ctrl+shift. And I'm finding it hard to get used to it. I've had 20 years of muscle memory I now need to unlearn, and I can't find a way to change it.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad, I guess in a couple of weeks or a month at the most I'll get used to it. the problem is, this hotkey is also buggy. every action in 3ds max can be cancelled by clicking the right mouse key before you finish it. Every action, that is, except this new hotkey. worse - if you start extruding and then right click, it doesn't quite cancels the action - the border vertices revert back, but the others don't, and no amount of undo can get the mesh back to its previous state. plus the program tends to become unstable and crash after I do that. And this is an instinct I have when modeling, that I now need to also unlearn, and quick,  if I don't want to lose work.

Not even sure what I'm asking. Perhaps there's a way to change this behavior back to the old one or a better way to report this so it's being taken care of. Or at least tell me it's not just me. 

Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Agreed, the new SHIFT + move behavior is not preferable.  Especially when SHIFT + Rotate still behaves as it used to.  I would argue that SHIFT + move be restored to what it used to be, and the new functionality be assigned to SHIFT+CTRL+move

Message 3 of 3
jibijib
in reply to: michael_grosberg

Agree with the above - three or so years after it was changed, I'm -STILL- doing the shift function as they aren't consistent between edit poly (CTRL + SHIFT to drag copy) and just normal object mode (just SHIFT to drag copy). If you CTRL + SHIFT to drag copy in normal mode, it selects multiple objects and copies them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report