Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EditPoly meets FFD

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
quinnredshift
327 Views, 6 Replies

EditPoly meets FFD

I keep getting errors trying to post in the Ideas forum, so I'm putting it here: 

Now, hear me out on this one: Freeform Deformation controls built into modifiers like EditPoly and EditMesh.

I mean, why not? I hate adding modifiers just to select a new set of verts, then add yet another FFD modifier, and now the stack is huge and hard to navigate for no good reason.

All you'd need to add is a "Done" button for when you're finished with your FFD operation...or even just clicking a new function in the modifier could deactivate any FFD functions, leaving the modification in place.

You have NO idea just how bleeping, censored, unprintably much this would simplify my modeling efforts. I mean, we're talking qualify-of-life out the wazoo, here. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CAMedeck
in reply to: quinnredshift

Is there any reason you don't just collapse the modifier stack when you're done with the FFD?

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
quinnredshift
in reply to: CAMedeck

Yes, there is.

There have been times when I realize that I'd kinda screwed myself earlier in the stack, made a bad decision or something which I cannot redo and still have a reliable top of the stack, and I have to undo a whooooole lotta stuff I did a while ago.

Ewps. 🙄

Rather than hope-to-heck I did a Save (not just a Scene Hold) before the mistake, I can just start culling Modifiers outta the stack until I get to somewhere I can use; it's kind of like a macro-Undo, sorta thing.

But if I collapse the stack...I'm committed. What I've got now, mistakes and all, is now baked...and, frankly, I don't have that much confidence in myself to notice a mistake as it happens. Yanno?

I don't collapse the Modifier stack until I'm absolutely certain...or I start to worry that I have so many modifiers on there that it might become problematic for MAX.

Having FFD controls in a Mesh/Poly Modifier would simplify that up a lot. I could have a shorter stack, not have to keep adding modifiers when I need to adjust different verts or polys...or edges...you get the idea. Having FFD controls in there would be a godsend.

Message 4 of 7
jibijib

There have been times where I've had a rather large stack ( heheh ) - but as above, I always collapse the stack after a few operations - you just get used to where you're meant to do this after you've finalised everything is good - although I've worked with people who have stacks 10, 20 modifiers high.

I never realised how USEFUL the stack is in Max and how I take it for granted, I don't think it appears in most of the other modelling program does it?

Message 5 of 7
quinnredshift
in reply to: jibijib

And that's why having FFD built into Editables would be useful: to prevent turning a stack into a skyscraper. That's a million times the reason I'd love to have it.

As for other modeling programs, I really wouldn't know.

I tried Blender and was just baffled by the UI. I was like, "Oh, I don't want to start from scratch! Egad!"

The only other system I've used extensively was Lightwave 3D. On a Video Toaster. Running off an Amiga. In the 1990s.

So... Heh.

Message 6 of 7
jibijib

People have said about having UVW Unwrap not as a modifier, and it is always open (which would be great honestly).

It is just part of Max's workflow - it wouldn't be Max without the stack operations.

I've had the 'just use Blender' comments in work. I have used Max since it was released and it works perfectly for me - I have to use Blender every day and have the opportunity to switch, but it's just never going to happen, (thank you FBX). 🙂

Message 7 of 7
quinnredshift
in reply to: jibijib

>> People have said about having UVW Unwrap not as a modifier, and it is always open (which would be great honestly).

Huh. Hadn't thought of it, but that would be great!

>> It is just part of Max's workflow - it wouldn't be Max without the stack operations.

Oh, I'm definitely not arguing against having a stack; I love having the stack.

It's just the part where you have to add a whole new EditPoly/Mesh modifier just to select new verts for the next FFD modifier...at a certain point, it starts to get ridiculous.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report