Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a line segments more circular

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
gustavodelvechio
1177 Views, 4 Replies

Make a line segments more circular

Hi

I´m new to modeling. Tried to search to this forum but I did not find the exact answer for perhaps my basic question (maybe did not search by correct therms).

I created a plane, then applied Edit Poly. Using anchors subselection, I manually moved some anchors in order to make the bottom of the plane more circular...but I'd like a more perfect semi-circle... a more perfect roundness...

Look at the print above. Is there any way to select these line segments...or the anchors, and make this as rounded as possible (for sure, considering the limited numbers of lines)? Is there any button in Edit Poly or in Graphite Modeling Tools to do this?

Thank you a lot for the advices.

Gustavo.

Max.jpg

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RobH2
in reply to: gustavodelvechio

There is not always a button to do all things. Sometimes in modeling you just have to be creative and get in there and move verts. For things like this I just use a circle as a guide and move points to match it. I attached something for you. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5
gustavodelvechio
in reply to: RobH2

Thank you a lot Rob.

It's a manual, but good solution. As I´m new to modeling, sometimes I´m in doubt if I'm missing someting along the numerous 3D's Max buttons! hehe

Thank you once for the video and answer!

Message 4 of 5
RobH2
in reply to: gustavodelvechio

I totally get that. When you are new it's difficult to know what you "can" and "can't" do automatically. I've spent many hours doing a task only to find out there is a function for that. Maybe there is some kind of automated thing somewhere to do what you were after, some "rounding" or "averaging" thing. But, I don't think so. You have to be creative with 3d modeling and that creativity builds as you get better. 

In the early days (not that it never happens anymore) I'd look at something and wonder how in the world I could make that without manually moving 1000 verts. Now, I can kind of "just see it" and have a way so much faster. But that only came with 1000s of hours of struggling. Well, not exactly struggling, but learning. 

There is no wrong way to do a task as long as it satisfies your need in Max. And with many things, there are many ways to do the same thing. For what you were trying to do, just doing a manual adjustment that takes a minute or two is faster than figuring out some convoluted or automatic way that you spend an hour trying to figure out.

What's cool is that one day you'll be doing a task the way you've "always" done it and you run across a tutorial or method to do it so much differently and faster and you go "wow, I wish I knew about that a year ago." It still happens to me all the time. It's the fun part about learning to model. You never learn it all and you are always getting better. Plus there is always someone out there who is much better than you are and you'll run across something they post and go, "brilliant."

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 5
gustavodelvechio
in reply to: RobH2

Great words, Rob.

Softwares like 3D's Max give us lots of ways to do the same task... so, we are always in constant learning!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences! I think I´ll still ask much more in this forum! hehehe

Best regards

Gustavo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report