Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lofting with 3 splines in 3 dimensions, possible?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
remainz
983 Views, 16 Replies

lofting with 3 splines in 3 dimensions, possible?

HI

I have 3 scientific waveforms, made into splines ,  from X,Y and Z data. Basically 3 long wiggly lines. 

I wish to visualise the data by modulating a spheres surface in 3 dimensions so that the X data creates wave on the surface of the sphere running along the x-axis , the Y data along the Y axis and the Z along the Z axis. All the data (splines) will interfere and modulate with each other across the surface.

Please let me know if this does not make sense.

I have spent a couple of days looking at nurbs and lofting but cannot even get close to this. They all only allow splines in 2 dimensions to interact and nurbs cannot cope with the data volume anyway.

I would love help in knowing if this is at all possible and where I should look next.

thanks joe remainz 

ps i can obviously extrude the 1d data or lathe the data but each only makes 1 or 2d surface interaction. The attatched pic is each one of the data splines made into a sphere using a 180 bend and lathe. This isnt exactly how id ideally have it. I need all three joined into one shape.  

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: remainz

I've never used it before, but I wonder if the surface modifier would do it for you. Kind of don't think so. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Dean

Message 3 of 17
blakestone

I am confused 😞

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 17
remainz

yes me too, thanks for reading.

waves saved in 3 splines running

left to right X

front back Y

bottom top Z

Each interacting with the surface of a sphere in their own direction

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Looking at the attached image, you may think some kind of displacement would do it. But displacement comes from maps, you would have to make maps from your splines. That could be done by extruding them to a surface and rendering a height map.

A way of getting a similar effect from the splines is to make a sphere from the spline.

Bend the spline 180deg to make it an arc shape, move the pivot to the arc centre and lathe it into a sphere.

Message 6 of 17
blakestone

What is wrong with your example attachment, looks like you've nailed it !?

Message 7 of 17
blakestone

Like you've already tried I've used the Bend modifier 180 degrees and then used Lathe 360 degrees.example.jpg

Message 8 of 17
remainz
in reply to: blakestone

hi thanks for looking

i need all 3 three splines in 3 axis applied to one sphere/surface. Ending with one sphere that has waves modulating in 3 directions across the surface. You have done one axis only.
Message 9 of 17
remainz
in reply to: Anonymous

a displacement map sounds like a good idea. I can try to composite each axis as a render in photoshop but I dont yet know how to make a spherical displacement map! Sounds hard
Message 10 of 17
blakestone

do you have an example of what it should look like finished?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

To render the displacement map, try extruding a spline, so it has a surface. Apply a material with a self illuminated gradient mapped to the side to create a height map. You don't want any lighting to render it, so make a light and turn it off.

Message 12 of 17
remainz
in reply to: blakestone

It will be a cross between the first two pics  maybe creating something like the third.

Message 13 of 17
remainz

hi

Ive got a good idea how to make the height map its just making a "spherical" displacment map that has the 3 axis oriented correctly onto it that im confused about.

Message 14 of 17
remainz

i will try a composit map of the three height maps as the displacment map.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Each map will need a unique UV channel. Three spherical UVW Maps aligned on X, Y & Z.

You could try either composite the maps, or apply three Displace modifiers.

Message 16 of 17
PROH

Hi. Just an idea on how to make a spherical displacement map.
1) Make a sphere from your spline (as you already did)
2) Make a material were "falloff" shifts the color based on distance
3) Render it with the "Panorama Exporter" utility
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 17 of 17
remainz

success thanks a lot samab

3d wind globe 1b2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report