Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Vertices

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Sketchygaz
2976 Views, 7 Replies

Joining Vertices

Hey I have a problem, in the program blender I'm able to select 2 different vertices and press the F key which will connect these vertices together, and if there were 4 vertices and I connected all 4 with F key it would make a face or polygon.

How does one replicate this within 3ds max please help.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
miledrizk
in reply to: Sketchygaz

Hi,

If you have 4 vertices sharing the same naked edge loop on an Editable Poly like the picture below

vertices.PNG

Just go to Border sub-object level, and click on one of those 4 edges to select the whole loop

selecting edge loop.PNG

Then from the Edit Border rollout, or by right-clicking, choose Cap and a new polygon will be created.

If you like to connect two vertices with an edge, those vertices need to share a common face,

Like the photo below

connect verts.PNG

While those 2 vertices are selected, from the Edit Vertices rollout click Connect and a new edge

Will be created between them

new edge.PNG

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 3 of 8
Sketchygaz
in reply to: miledrizk

This is really useful and I'll be sure to practice this, thank you however it doesn't work with my problem maybe im just trying something which is wrong. I'll write a description with what I mean if that is ok, you could tell me if there is a better way maybe?

Message 4 of 8
Sketchygaz

Here is a brief description of what I have been doing.

Hope it helps you see where I'm having the problem

1. So I create a box.
2. Convert to edit poly
3. Select vertex in editable poly.
4. delete all vertex which will remove the cube
5. Right click then click on create

This is where i get stuck I can create these vertices following one of my drawings like a dot to dot but now I have all these Vertices I can't connect them together.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Select 3 or 4 vertices and hit 'Cap Poly' to create either 3 or 4-sided polys. Use Polygon-Subobject->Create to create n-sided polys by click-dragging a rubberband from vertex to vertex. Return to the first vertex to close the polygon.

Does this made sense?

Message 6 of 8
miledrizk

You're using a workflow that doesn't belong to 3DS Max, and it's understood since you're coming

From a different program. What you're trying to do doesn't work. You need to start from an existing 

Geometry and model it using various tools that help you shape you object. Now if you're insisting on

Deleting the faces and start building your geometry from vertices, then the closest thing to this

Is what @Anonymous recommended, and that's to go to Polygon sub-object level instead of Vertices

And click Create and start placing your points, and the last vertex should be placed on the first one.

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 7 of 8
Sketchygaz
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Select 3 or 4 vertices and hit 'Cap Poly' to create either 3 or 4-sided polys. Use Polygon-Subobject->Create to create n-sided polys by click-dragging a rubberband from vertex to vertex. Return to the first vertex to close the polygon.

Does this made sense?

Hey thanks its not exactly like blender but I can make it work thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Sketchygaz

@miledrizk wrote:

You're using a workflow that doesn't belong to 3DS Max, and it's understood since you're coming

From a different program. What you're trying to do doesn't work. You need to start from an existing 

Geometry and model it using various tools that help you shape you object. Now if you're insisting on

Deleting the faces and start building your geometry from vertices, then the closest thing to this

Is what @Anonymous recommended, and that's to go to Polygon sub-object level instead of Vertices

And click Create and start placing your points, and the last vertex should be placed on the first one.

Thank you for these work around its difficult adapting but i'll get there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report