Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherit smoothing group when extruding edges?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
598 Views, 2 Replies

Inherit smoothing group when extruding edges?

Hi there. When using shift+drag on an edge, is there any way to make the new extrusion keep the same smoothing group as the polygon it is coming from? Having to reselect the new extrusions and reassigning them the smoothing groups doesn't look like an efficient workflow. Advanced thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't reproduce the issue you are having. If I shift+drag an edge, all the faces attached to it retain the smoothing group they originally had. Likewise, if I extrude a face, the new faces below the one I pull up have the smoothing group of the parent face. 

Do you have some screenshots or more info? What version of Max?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: RobH2

Hi Rob. This cube with an open gap has all faces assigned exclusively to the smoothing group 1. When shift+drag that edge, that new face has a different shading and, in the smoothing groups panel, that polygon has none assigned. Extruding polygons instead of edges also makes that all new extruded faces have no smoothing groups.

3ds max 2019 and tested it as well in 2017 with similar results.

image.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report