Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to freeze transformations?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BenediZ
4324 Views, 3 Replies

How to freeze transformations?

Hello,

simple question: How do I FREEZE TRANSFORMATIONS in 3dsmax?

Found only an old video, but I haven't found that menu in 3dsMax 2020.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrZlFbAMD8)

Thanks

p.s. I have Maya Navigation enabled (because I am mainly Maya user), maybe that's why it is missing the ALT+RMB menu??

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CAMedeck
in reply to: BenediZ

Whenever we had a camera view set and didn't want to accidentally truck the camera, we'd use the Locks checkboxes found in the Heirarchy tab, Link Info button.  Lock your Move, Rotate, and Scale in any or all axes.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
BenediZ
in reply to: CAMedeck

Hi thanks,

but I mean something different: In order to export it to zBrush properly (for example) you need all transformations really zeroed to 000 for everything like scal, rotation, translation.

In Maya it’s called „freeze transformations“.

You must have a way in 3dsMax to export things properly to zBrush and similar applications.

If you leave high transformation values you get problems with scene scaling there.

Message 4 of 4
PropChad
in reply to: BenediZ

You are looking for the Reset XForm. It is found in Utilities (wrench icon at upper right). If it isn't in your sets buttons, you'll have to configure it and add it in.  Basically turn it on, and hit Reset Selected. Then go to the modify panel and collapse.

But...now that you know what you need. There's a better, easier way. In the menu at the top, Edit > Transform Toolbox. (Instead of Transform Type-In getting the F12 shortcut, I set it to the Transform Toolbox). Open up that toolbox, and click the R right next to Set Size. This will do a Reset XForm and collapse all at once.

Edit: And if you specifically need that Freeze Transform in the menu, it is Alt + Right Mouse Button.  With 3ds Max, there's like 6 or so right click menus, when also using combinations of Alt, Ctrl, and Shift.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report