Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard edges on scanned model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
maxmnte
274 Views, 3 Replies

Hard edges on scanned model

Hi!

I don't know how to solve my problem with a scanned model (https://threedscans.com/musee-des-monuments-francais/le-transi-de-rene-de-chalon/ ).

I smoothed it, reset XForm, reset the normals, welded all the verts. What am I doing wrong? 

In the viewport it looks normal, but in the renderer I see the hard edges.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: maxmnte

@maxmnte 

I could not replicate your issue.  First scan below is Arnold render of the imported .obj with no changes to model.

10DSpace_0-1657730255249.png

The next Arnold Render is with ProOptimizer set to 10%:

10DSpace_1-1657730320066.png

What are your objectives for the model?  If you want to reduce poly count did you just try to use ProOptimizer?

The imported model was uniformly scaled at 100%, and smoothing seemed fine as reflected in the above renders so why did you apply smoothing, reset XForm and weld vertices?  

Did you apply a different material by any chance?  It looks a little like maybe there is a bump map/normal map or displacement map that might be producing the rough appearance on the face.  Just a guess.

Message 3 of 4
maxmnte
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks a lot for checking!

I did not find a solution at all. Today I reopened the same file and the issue is gone. I tried hours yesterday and now everything just works. Is it possible that 3ds Max needed a PC restart? I can‘t explain. Also there was no material applied. And even with Standard Surface I had the same issue.

Message 4 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: maxmnte

@maxmnte 

Yes, sometimes rebooting can solve problems.  Glad it is working for you now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report