Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

half a torus?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2781 Views, 10 Replies

half a torus?

what's the best way to create half a torus?

In other words a u shaped pipe, only 1 unit thick?

I create a torus

I convert to editable polygon

Looking down at the torus from above, I use the selection tool to select half of it

I delete the selection (leaving the u shape

Is there anything I need to do to this before I export this shape as a valid .obj?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

hi spectrum i have attached picture for your help you see the option and use it for what you want to do...thanks

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Hello Spectrum48k33QM5,

To make half a Torus u can do it either

1.By creating the full torus and in paramenters panel click the Slice on option and give Slice from = 0  and Slice to = 180.

2. If you are in edit poly mode and as per your mentioned steps you can click the Border sub object mode < select the borders < Cap Rtorus.jpg.

then you can xport it to the .Obj file  

Hope, It'll be helpful for you

Thanks and Regs,

Saguj

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

Thank you for this - I tried the torus > slice but it automatically puts caps on the end, whereas I want to leave the ends of the slice open

Message 5 of 11
don_3259

you can remove the ends in editable polygon method easily

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

What I'm actually trying to do is take a length of pipe bend a small portion of it, so it forms a u shape like this (see image)

Ideally, i'd like to do this using just a single object in 3DS Max, but due to my lack of knowledge I'm trying to join 2x extruded circles to 1x torus (the torus is cut in half).

I'd like to apply a single texture to this single object

So the texture is seamless throughout this single object, what is the best way to join the 3 objects together as one?

Or is there a better way of doing all of this? Perhaps take a single extruded circle, length 16000 and apply a bend to the middle 1000 portion of it. Is that possible?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi, here's a little screencast that i just made to show you how to create piping really fast with 3ds Max 2017.

This is a basic and straightforward video, don't hesitate if you have questions.

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but i think it can help

http://autode.sk/2njZoJD

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Wow, that was amazing.

Ha, I'll have to watch it back in slow-mo, about TEN TIMES, but it's a big help.

In terms of applying a single texture to that object, that would be seamless, yes?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Not really, you will need to apply a UVW Map for fast mapping or use Unwrap UVW for more precise UV map, but this is a completely different topic.

BTW, only primitive objects have texture coordinates by default.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-245C4F26-7D3B-40E4-B815-531E3DF49967

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Is there a way to remove the caps your method imposes?

for example when I look internally at the pipe moving from a straight section into the curved section, there's a cap separating the two pieces blocking the view so to speak

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

If you have caps, add an Edit Poly Modifier to your stack and select the caps and press delete.

On a close loop (for example a rectangle), if you have caps it means you need to select all vertices (some of them aren't connected) and press Weld.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report