Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair preset saved to nowhere

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
811 Views, 3 Replies

Hair preset saved to nowhere

In Hair&F Tools, if I select Presets: Save and enter a name, I don't see that name added in the "Load" list, nor can I find a file with that name anywhere on my host.

Is there someway of saving hair styles in 3ds Max (2019), other than saving a .max file with the hair (import copy/paste style)?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

In Hair&F Tools, if I select Presets: Save and enter a name, I don't see that name added in the "Load" list

When you save a preset, it should be then appear as one of the icons in the load dialogue, but it will be added alphabetically into the current set of Icons so sometimes it may be hard to find it there if you were expecting it to be added to the end.  Also, be aware that although the General Parameters are saved,  no styling information is saved in the preset, making it not very useful in my opinion. 

Is there someway of saving hair styles in 3ds Max (2019), other than saving a .max file with the hair (import copy/paste style)

Not that I am aware.   The Max hair and fur modifier really is pretty crude actually and in need of a serious upgrade in my opinion.  Considering how difficult it is to control the results in specific areas when styling, the ability to save a style easily would be very useful.     More geenrally, an upgrade to Hair and Fur has been mentioned a number of times in the Max ideas forum (I certainly have voted for it), but I am not sure where it stands on the priority list. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Ah, I found the problem was that the directory where other styles are stored is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\Hair\presets" and it was not writable by me.   So I changed permissions and now I can save a style and ... it ALMOST(!) works, so it is an installation problem, or a deficient design that doesn't allow for a per-USER save folder:

c0.pngc1.png

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Hair modifier definitely needs an upgrade.  Styling is like like trying to comb and cut hair with a basketball!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report