Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Dev Related Question - Not unwrapping certain objects

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
t_smith5
360 Views, 2 Replies

Game Dev Related Question - Not unwrapping certain objects

The project I'm currently working on isn't for a game, but I am wondering if something similar can be done for a game object/character. Basically, there are some parts of my character model that won't need unwrapping, such as bracelets, rings, belt buckle etc. For the project, it looks like those sorts of things will just need a gold or silver material added. Can this sort of thing be done in a game development workflow as well? Or do all accessories/objects need to be unwrapped?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: t_smith5

as far as I know and have tried, you can! just depends on what you're going for, it's just like applying shaders in 3dsmax, you can do the same in unity and probably unreal too. but it would be easier to apply shaders to your objects before exporting because an engine like unity will attempt to translate the material applied onto it when it's imported. if you're using unity, then I recommended sticking to scanline shaders, they're the easiest for unity to understand. but keep in mind it's a good go-to but probably not the best in terms of quality, so try messing with the setting for the material in the game engine even if it shows up after importing. hope this helps 🙂 

Message 3 of 3
t_smith5
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, just to clarify - you can avoid unwrapping objects that can just have a material...? Or were you referring to something else...?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report