Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engraving a text spline to a flat model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3885 Views, 5 Replies

Engraving a text spline to a flat model

I have to created indented text on a flat model surface. I'm not a fan of Boolean because of the many issues it creates but since I plan to make animations, can't do bump maps either. It has to be part of the model.

They are overlapping like this:

Problem.jpg

When the halfcurrently seen should go away and the half inside shown...

...Like this:

problem 2.jpg

Since I have no idea what else I can do. Any thoughts on this one? There's a tutorial around but lacks many steps. The text is yet to be converted into anything.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, many ways to do this.

- The best way in my opinion is this technique. Can be use for many things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P56v4CBNE7M

- Also, check the ShapeMerge Compound: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMa...

- You can fake it with Bump and normal map.

- Use displacement

- In some case, Boolean can work but it would be my last choice.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply but Floating Geometry would not work since it wouldn't blend the text into the model and "baking" it as suggested by the video maker would make the model larger.

Alternatively, shapemerge compound doesn't work. I have no idea why and, because this is meant to be animated, mapping can't be used.

Boolean spoils the model.

Do you have other ideas please? Thank you very much.

Message 4 of 6
blakestone

I am not sure if this is what you're after but here are the steps (see attachment) to creating this.

1. Using the Spline > Text tool create some Text and Tick 'Enable In Viewport'
2. Add the 'Slice' modifier and tick the box 'Remove Top' which basically cuts the model in half removing the top portion.
3. Convert to an Editable Poly object and using the Bridge and Cap tool start Bridging and Capping 🙂
4. I then create a plane with some edges and delete the centre - basically creating a border to join this to
5. Using the same Bridge and Cap tool I attach the text to the plane

6. Here is the final result.

I have attached the the MAX file ( requires 3dsMax 2012 or higher to open ).

Please let me know if you're unsure of anything.

example.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

That was just what I needed! And it was easier than I thought. You even included a step by step! Thank you very much! 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

I am trying to engrave numbers on the sides of a dice model. What is the way to do that, since the dice planes are already created. By the way, it is a 12 sided dice, so each side is a pentagon. I also couldn't understand the bridge and cap step. Thank you in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report