Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit UVWs active texture

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Seakad
311 Views, 4 Replies

Edit UVWs active texture

Such a question appeared
When, for example, I select any polygon with a texture, and open the UVWs Editor, the CheckerPattern is used by default in the window, can I make it so that the desired material is immediately selected in the list?

In a large scene, there can be 50+ materials, and such a huge list appears that it takes almost half a minute to look for the right one.

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Seakad

@Seakad 

If you have already assigned a material to your object then it should appear in the dropdown list in the UV editor rollout as shown in example below:

10DSpace_0-1645317314432.png

You shouldn't have to search through 50 other textures in your scene;  -- the assigned texture map should be easily seen in the dropdown.

Message 3 of 5
Seakad
in reply to: 10DSpace

It appears there, but I want it to be automatically selected from the list
Message 4 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Seakad

@Seakad 

As far as I know, there is no way for Max to automatically select one of the choices of bitmaps in the dropdown list as the default when you open the Unwrap UVW Editor.  This has to be user guided.  

In theory, with a few lines of maxscript  you can select one of the maps by order of appearance in the list, but you have to know the number of the map in the dropdown list.   And by the time you have opened up the list to check this, it's just one more click to select it, so that doesn't seem useful to me.     However, typically the diffuse or base_color map is the 3rd map after the 2 checker options on my installations of Max, so if you want the 3rd map to be selected you could run the following lines of maxscript (from the Maxscript Editor NOT the Maxscript listener):

uvwMod = $.modifiers[#Unwrap_UVW]
uvwMod.unwrap.SetCurrentMap 3

Copy and paste the above lines into a new Maxscript Editor Window and select Tools>Evaluate All or highlight/select the lines and select Tools>Evalaute Line Selection.  Like I said, I don't see how this is particularly useful but possibly I am not fully understanding your issue and if so please clarify.  Maybe a screenshot of your dropdown list would be helpful.

Message 5 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: 10DSpace

@Seakad 

I should have mentioned that the object must be currently selected for the script to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report