Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dissolve attachments

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
634 Views, 7 Replies

dissolve attachments

Hey,

I try to keep my problem short.

I am modeling a Audi R8 with blueprints.

Now am on the part with the wheels and I accidentally attached my blueprint with the wheel.

I didnt notice it at first so I cant use undo to solve the problem.

So my question is how do I get back my blueprint plane and my wire,

so that they are 2 seperate parts again.

Thanks for helping out.

Lucas

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

What type of object is (was) your wheel and "blueprint"?  For example, if I were to create a wheel I would add a lathe modifier to a line and then perhaps convert it to an editable poly. From that point I could attach other objects to it. I would think of a blueprint as an image and would assign a material with a bitmap of the blueprint to the editable poly object.  Is that what you did? 

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

hey thanks for replaying,

the blueprint is 2 planes with a image of the car so that I can get the splines.

I finished my car chassi which is made of 1 tube and got extended than to the full chassi with the splines.

than I made my wheels with a new poly which is a spline.

accidentaly I attached the spline(finished wheel) to one of my blueprints (plane).

andn ow if I for example wanna copy the wheel it also copies the plane (blueprint) cause they are attached

-> all of them are transformed into editably poly, but not the blueprints they are just planes with a image to help me get the splines in shape

Message 4 of 8
Fadhil_Farook

Select the Plane and DETACH it under Elements, or Polygon Subobject level. Have you tried this?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Fadhil_Farook

its grey.

the plane also doesnt show up on my object list because its attached to the wheel (spline), which do show up in the object list maybe a picture woud be helpful.

as u can see, both, the wheel and the plane got a white border which means they are considered as 1 object .dddd.PNG

Message 6 of 8
leeminardi

To attach the spline to the plane you must have first converted the plane to an editable poly.  To remove the spline from the editable poly select it and choose Element in the Modify Editable Poly sub-object list then select the "spline" and click Detach.  At this stage what was originally a spline will now be a separate Editable Poly (not a spline).  If you need it to be a true spline I am note sure what you can do short of using the vertices to build a new spline. 

lee.minardi
Message 7 of 8
Fadhil_Farook

See the Attachment mate. You'll understand

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Fadhil_Farook

Wow, it worked that easily, thanks man. appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report