Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cylindrical object squashes on single-axis rotation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
323 Views, 1 Reply

Cylindrical object squashes on single-axis rotation

Hey, all

I have a space-based carrier vehicle. It has four vaguely-cylindrical 'rockets' parented to it. The engines' axes are centered on and placed at the point where they'd work best for the craft itself. Everything looks fine, but as soon as I try to rotate any engine (singly or all as a group) forward--single axis rotation--the 'cylinder' starts squashing. It squashes to the side, although it remains parented to the ship. I didn't put any limits on it, and I didn't set up any morph targets for it. My goal is to set up 'controls' so I can just assign open/shut/down/back actions to the various pieces-parts, but I need to get this engine squishing thing fixed.

Looked through numerous forume posts to see if anyone else was having this problem; no luck there.

Anyone maybe have a notion as to why this is happening? Did I make a mistake in parenting the engine objects to the ship object? Other things that I've parented to the main ship, like the three-part exit ramp, rotate on their limited axes just fine.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong, or what I could do to make this work right, would be appreciated. (Trying to set it up for a short video using it. Can't exit the launch bay if the engines are squished sideways. 😞  )

Thanks!

Davey

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't see how rotate would distort an object unless you are rotating a modifier and not the object.  Can you post the base ship and an engine and describe in detail the action you give that yields the distortion?

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report