Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create surface from transversal and longitudal splines

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
yanishristov
920 Views, 7 Replies

Create surface from transversal and longitudal splines

Please help me to create the ship surface from transversal and longitudal splines (and also the profile) . I did it before with shell modifier but I need to be just surface not having a volume. I guess need to normalize the splines ( say a knot every 5 cm or so, all running in same direction). I am willing to give you the splines and give me back the surface.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
yanishristov
in reply to: yanishristov

In Rhino there is a tool to create surface from network of curves where you show the first and the next curves in one direction then in other direction, but here in 3ds max what is the analogy
Message 3 of 8
CAMedeck

There is a modifier called Surface that will 'cap' any triangles or quads in a single Spline object.  So if you attached all of your spline object above, as long as there are vertices only where lines cross, it would create a complete surface.  Depending on how it is built now, you might want to look at using Cross Section (either the modifier or the tool within the Editable Spline object) to connect the spline sub-objects.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
yanishristov
in reply to: CAMedeck

Thanks for the answer, the Surface modifier cant make it work as all the splines are created independently ( even after Optimizing or Normalizing). Cross Section works but only using lines in one direction ( this tool creates the lines in other direction). I am looking for a way to make a mesh with all this lines.

Message 5 of 8
leeminardi

It looks like you have half-breadth curves (top view, constant z), and body lines (right view, constant x).

You might consider making two separate surfaces for these two sets of curves and then make buttock curves (front view, constant y) by slicing the two surfaces.  This would give you a feel for the deviation between the two sets of curves. You will probably find that different areas of the hull are better defined by one set of curves over the other.

I don't think it is worht getting too focused on the accuracy of the final surface as Max's limited precision is not aimed at precise modeling.  Max is best suited for generating good images not data for an engineering analysis.

lee.minardi
Message 6 of 8
yanishristov
in reply to: leeminardi

It is not possible to create complete surface using both sets of curves. @leeminardi  was right to use either one or the other set, I split t he model the nose, the bulb, the long body, and aft part on 3 different parts to create the complete surface piece by piece. I did on every piece the  splines in one directions attached to one and cross section on spline level ( normalized first to either 50,40 or 30 knots and make sure starting from one of the sides - colapsing the stack or spline select) and then Surface modifier. Now have to stitch them.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Attach All your lines together as one line then Use Surface !

Message 8 of 8
domo.spaji

It is possible. But, luckily, unnecessary because Cross Section (followed by Surface mod.) will create second set of splines instead we detaching (maybe/probably all) splines to separated obj. and attaching those again in desired order to single spline obj.

Anyway, keep splines and surface as simple as you can and define curvature/smoothnes at the end/top of mod. stack with something like Turbosmooth mod.

P:S.

"Max's limited precision" have nothing to do with anything, symplest way to say.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report