Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant see edges on backside of object since 2023.1 Update

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
FionaFergusson8795
2940 Views, 32 Replies

Cant see edges on backside of object since 2023.1 Update

As you can see in the screenshot attached I can see any edge that are on the backside of the object since updating to 2023.1 this morning. Its frustrating as I need to see where they are.

How to I enable this in the viewport?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Hi Fiona, thank you for reporting this issue. Please check if the Backface Cull is <On> or <Off>. If this won't help, please attach your 3dsmax file for further investigation.

Message 3 of 33

Hi. It's not backface cull as its the same on every file I work on. I cant upload the file and its client sensitive but its EVERY file since the 2023.1 update.

If I go into either vertex, edge or poly mode the back faces disappear.

If this is an issue I'm going to have to reinstall max to go back a to 2023 which is massively frustrating.
Message 4 of 33

Can you delete ENU folder and try max again:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2023 - 64bit\ENU

Message 5 of 33

im having the exact same issues - any solution?

Message 6 of 33
ads_czechoj
in reply to: short.cirkuit

I would like to know what is the origin of your models

1. Created in an older 3dsmax version and the issue appears in the new update.
  2. Imported as an FBX (or any other format)
  3. Downloaded from a 3D store and not created in 3dsmax
Message 7 of 33

a bit of everything you mention

Message 8 of 33
ads_czechoj

This issue can be challenging to solve without having the model or at least a part of the model.
Please try a few modifiers like turn to poly, edit poly (or mesh), convert to mesh (poly), Mesh Cleaner, Retopology, etc. 
At one point, the model may behave more as 3dsmax default geometry should. 

Message 9 of 33
short.cirkuit
in reply to: ads_czechoj

hi guys - any update on this?  Here is a simple cylinder i created, as you can see, you cant see the back edges, just the verticies?

Message 10 of 33

I haven't updated the new version yet, so I'm not sure exactly what to say.
Message 11 of 33

Dear autodesk - please please please can you look into this?  its been an ongoing post without resolve for months!!!!!

Message 12 of 33

Please attach any 3ds Max file with the issue described in this post and shown on your screen captured images. The problem is related to the specific geometry imported to your scene. I need to examine any model where I could reproduce the issue.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 13 of 33
short.cirkuit

sure - see attached

Message 14 of 33

My max 2023.2.2 is doing the same thing.

Message 15 of 33

@ads_czechojplease see responses and files attached?

Message 16 of 33

Thank you for the file and image. Only one option could make this happen/ At one point of modelling, the invisible edges/faces were selected and hidden. Please use the Unhide All bottom in the Editable Poly  Edit Geometry tab. 
But I can't reproduce the same issue after opening your file:

ads_czechoj_0-1667941091325.png

Message 17 of 33
short.cirkuit

@ads_czechoj Hi and thanks for that.

Ive been using max for over 15 years & i can assure you its nothing ive done as a user - its something to do with one of the recent updates.

I tried your method and it still doesnt work?  the only way to see them for me is to temporarily flip the geometry.

Message 18 of 33
ads_czechoj

Everything is possible. If I could reproduce it we would know what needs to be fixed. It could be a view-port setting, new video card, a display error, material, etc. Please try to reset Workspace to a default state:

ads_czechoj_0-1667943358284.png

Message 19 of 33

@ads_czechoj yep tried this and it still doesnt fix it - i did a video also.

I also tried it on a new BOX shape - same issue

What viewport setting do you think it could be?

Message 20 of 33

I am able to create a brand new file and create a box with multiple edges that disappear when in edit modes. See attached. Resetting the workspace to default does not resolve the issue. No issues in Max 2017, 2019, or 2022. Looking for a resolution to this here as it is slowing down the modeling process. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report