Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model too rough

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
apdim
387 Views, 4 Replies

Model too rough

Hello,

I've tried to model a basic body of a train, but I'm completely new in 3DS and I have some issues.

1. The model in model space looks too rough. How can I smooth it? I've tried with basic modifiers, but I have multiple mistakes and the result is very strange form... Of course, later I will continue with fine detailing, but for now, I need to know If I can easily fix this roughness.

apdim_1-1695241973229.png

1.jpg

2. If I export it to FBX and then check it in another software, there is strange polygons. Also model edges are looking too smoothed. Any tips?

apdim_2-1695242184505.pngapdim_3-1695242196399.png

I modeled it using compound objects to cut some geometry and then face-forming was mainly by vertexes. Any tips here also?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rendermaster
in reply to: apdim

try to model it part by part

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 5
apdim
in reply to: rendermaster

If I split them result is similar. I will try to model it from scratch. How can you recommend me to model the front part? It is most complicated.
Message 4 of 5
dmitriy.shpilevoy

You can't fix this easily.

If you want to use extremely lowpoly mesh in game, then you would need normal map and to bake it you need highpoly mesh.

In any case you can't use large/long polys on curved surface like that, they get twisted and that's what you see in game. Go from large shapes to small, add more loops, try to keep faces more uniform on curved parts.

Message 5 of 5
apdim

Yes, this was my first try ever in 3DS. I checked more tutorials and tips and my approach is completely wrong 😄 I will do it again asap...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report