Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't weld end points of different splines.

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
2229 Views, 1 Reply

Can't weld end points of different splines.

Been trying to make this animal crossing leaf. Sketched the outline with splines/arcs. But I can't figure out how to weld the end points. Selected auto welding on points and used the snap gizmo to snap vertices like a video suggested but it didn't do anything. I drew over the individual lines in different colours in the image. I read that as long as the vertices I'm trying to weld are endpoints it should work.

In addition, if anyone knows how I can convert the outline of the leaf pictured below from an editable poly back to an editable spline that'd would be a big help so I don't have to start it over. I extruded the outline as a spline thinking I had the vertices welded correctly and then converted it to a poly but now I can't change it back. 

acleaf.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
miledrizk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

To extract a spline from your mesh, go to Edge sub-object level, select the edge loop you want,

Then, in the Edit Edges rollout click Create Shape From Selection, and in the small dialog you can give it

A name and I also suggest you choose the Linear option

shape from edge.PNG

There are things that stop the spline from extruding like a solid geometry:

1- Self-Intersecting edges

2- More than one edge in the same place(Overlapping), in this case when you Weld, there will be

A naked edge left. So check that too.

3- In case the starting and ending vertices are spaced apart a little, maybe the Weld Threshold is

Too small.

weld.PNG

Of course, it should be very small, but if those vertices are not completely overlapping, then

You probably need to increase the Threshold a little, or you can use snap and bring one of the vertices to the

Other one's location and do the welding again(you need to select the vertices of course)

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report