Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2022 to 3dsmax202

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Migsey_UK
379 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD 2022 to 3dsmax202

Hello everybody

I recently upgraded both AutoCAD and 3dsmax to their latest versions (202) and I must say that on the 3dsmax side things have been a little strange. In my workflow, I have to model precise solids which I need to UV map in 3dsmax.

Importing dwg format in 3dsmax has been quite good and solid but things look a bit strange in the 2022 version. 

All solids that I import are hardly visible in 3dsmax in wireframe mode. If I select them I can see the outlines but even when I convert the solid to a mesh or a poly I still don't see the object. Lll looks well in shaded view but I constantly feel the need two swap between shaded and wireframe

I am attaching some images showing the solid in both shaded and wireframe versions in Autocad and the same object in 3dsmax quad view. Is there some new setting I am mssing?

Many Thanks

AutoCAD WIREFRAME.PNG

AutoCAD SHADED.PNG

3dsmax import 1.PNG

   

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: Migsey_UK

3ds Max may be automatically hiding edges in your object.  If it is an editable mesh, or you can add and Edit Mesh modifier, go to sub-object Edge, select all, and find the Surface Properties rollout.  You can either click Visible to show all edges in the viewport, or set the value next to Auto Edge to something small like 0.1 and click Auto Edge.  This will only hide edges that are coplanar.

Objects imported from Revit have been doing this for several years.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Migsey_UK
in reply to: CAMedeck

Thank you very much for the reply

This is a tremendous setback as it really impacts and slows down the workflow. I tried the same file in 3dsmax 2019 and I found the same issue when there was none before. I am wondering if the problem lies in AutoCAD 2022. Over the years and with every new release of Autocad, Autodesk seems to do really bizarre and irrational choices. From withdrawing support for 3ds, obj, and fbx files, to make the workflow more complicated and less streamlined. It really beggars belief so if anyone Autodesk reads this, please do be sensible!!!!!

Message 4 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: Migsey_UK

I'm not sure I understand how this is a setback.  As I said, automatically hiding edges came about in Revit several years ago.  Prior to that, curved surfaces were so tessellated that a wireframe view appeared almost solid.  That not only slowed down viewport performance, but it also made the viewport difficult to comprehend due to all the visible edges.

The main drawback I found is that you need to unhide all edges before applying an Edit Poly modifier, or converting an object to an Editable Poly.  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Migsey_UK
in reply to: CAMedeck

Hi there

A major setback not to say a terrible nuisance. In my line of work, I use 3dsmax, among other many things to precisely UVW map surfaces for video projection. As such, I need to see the geometry at all times. As intricate as it may be I need to see it in order to correct vertice location and triangulation to make sure that  UV are precisely placed

COMPARISON.PNG

This is what I get now. On the left a perfect solid built in AutoCAD and on the right an OBJ of the same solid. The one on the left is absolutely useless. Not only edges are not visible but the shape of the surface is also invisible. Only its footprint is displayed. The one on the right I can immediately see problems that I need to correct. 

edged faces.PNG

same happens with edged faces which is the view I use to see if the texture is well positioned on the surface

In this new version, I get nothing. 

so I guess that if your workflow depends on seeing the edges at all times this is a major problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report