Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

attaching bitmap or jpg to plane for reference image (2020)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
890 Views, 4 Replies

attaching bitmap or jpg to plane for reference image (2020)

I'm using 3ds max 2020. I'm attempting to use a plane to place an reference image so I can trace it with the line tool. The plane is 3.6 meters by 1.981 meters and the reference image is a 24 bit bitmap with same dimensions. I tried assigning a scanline standard material then double clicking diffuse and selecting a the bitmap image. I tried it in reverse and selected the bitmap image first then linking it to a standard scanline. I clicked the scanline and clicked on assign material but it won't show up in the view(s).
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

If you have correctly assigned the material to the plane and enabled "Show Shaded Material in Viewport", then:

1. make sure that "Material Color" is selected in the Display Color section of the Display Rollout.

2. Make sure that you are not in "see through Mode" (right click on the selected plane, select "Object Properties" and then Uncheck "See Through" if it is checked.   

Hope this helps.

The image you uploaded is a bit fuzzy, but it appears that you can see through the object to the grid behind it which suggests it may be in see through mode.  

Material Color.png

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

I figured it out. I used jpg's instead and it worked. Is there a maxium size bitmap that 3ds max can open? or it can't open 24 bit images?
Message 4 of 5
10DSpace

@Anonymous 

I figured it out. I used jpg's instead and it worked.

What type of image format were you originally using? 

Is there a maximum size bitmap that 3ds max can open? or it can't open 24 bit images?

I am sure there is a technical limit for any 3D software and computer hardware, but Max can handle large images like 8K, 16K in addition to the more typical 2K, 4K & 8K sizes used in graphics pipelines.   Regarding 24 bit images, Max handles these without any problem.  I use them daily.   

Message 5 of 5
Richard.Vivanco

Maybe this image isnt in jpg format.

Sometimes the images downloads as .jfif.   3dsmax dont recognizes this format.

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report