Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTACH creates way too many polygons?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
robains
503 Views, 2 Replies

ATTACH creates way too many polygons?

As I learn more about 3DSMax, I've been trying to combine two objects into one object.  The ATTACH process works, but tends to generate excessive number of polygons.  I tried the ProOptimizer modifier but that didn't work well at all leaving many gaps in geometry.

Is there a better way than using "ATTACH" to combine two objects?

If not, is there a easy way to combine polygons into a single polygon using the out edges of all polygons selected to represent the single polygon?

Here is are some basic editable polys that I used ATTACH for a single object, from the image you can see I have two polygons (triangles) where I really just want ONE polygon (rectangle):

3DSMax_Combine_Polygons_After_Attach.jpg

Any hints on how to work this?

Cheers, Rob.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mark_aldred
in reply to: robains

I think you mean too many visible edges? It doesn't matter if the diagonal edges are visible or not, they have to be there to give you that geometry. If you want to get rid of them (make them invisible), convert to Editable Mesh, use AutoEdge at edge subobject level, then convert back to EditablePoly.

If you want to learn more about modelling, check out Arrimus 3D on YouTube. You can learn more there in five minutes than you could in a week on your own. That channel is turning into a modeller's bible.

Message 3 of 3

Hi Mate. You can simply use quadrify all option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report