Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning vertices in a straight line?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
44733 Views, 9 Replies

Aligning vertices in a straight line?

Hi,

Is there a quick and simple way to align vertices in a straight line (rather then selecting each one and aligning them by eye)?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 3 of 10
CAMedeck

Select the vertices, then scale them to zero in that direction. I use this to make them planar in the z direction, but it will work for x and y too. Once they are in a straight line, you can move them wherever you need to.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

With Edit Spline I sometimes use the same method as Chris, with the Scale, or I use grid snap, if the grid is where I want them.
In EditPoly there is another option, Make Planar, it has three axis buttons you can click.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks, that's what I was looking for - especially the Make Planar.
Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

Snap to Vertex, Snaps Use Axis Constraints, set the appropriate Axis Constraint.

Disadvantage: only works on 1 vertex at a time (any others will move relative to the one "grabbed").
Advantage: works on Editable Splines, Polys, Meshes, NURBS CV points...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

for other axis other than XYZ theres some macros that does it, u select a start and end vertex and it makes the line straight, most of them works only for edit/able poly tho
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

And yet another way of doing it, try my vertPlacer script...

http://www.neilblevins.com/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm#Soulburnscripts_for_3dsmax

- Neil
Message 9 of 10
england1969

This is late BUT,  if you clone the object around its center axis 180 degrees (top to bottom) you can use the second one as a Snap Tool.

1) Select all bottom vertices of obj 1,

2) Scale along single (in this case vertical) axis to zero,  

3) Move and snap the row of vertices, to the bottom vertices on Obj 2,  

4) Delete obj 2.

Before Snapping you will want to right click your Snap Button and choose Snap to Vertices only!

Message 10 of 10
Burdurky1

Soulburn script guy (Neil), you are a personal hero of mine. Your scripts are excellent and so intuitive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report