Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[3DSMAX2017]Peel Mode Problem

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
kem.star
4581 Views, 12 Replies

[3DSMAX2017]Peel Mode Problem

Hey Guys,

since about 20 Minutes i have an unusual Problem with the UVUnwrapping and the Peel Tools.

the last days everything was fine. But since several Minutes the peel tools do total crappy stuff.
the pics shows what i mean

How it should be right:

aacdb4068656444c95eaed157a7dd712

How its at the Moment:
4bf7312c2e7c42b3893d72a5ebce55ae
00daf2c453f9418dbbb09456100fdaff
If i use qickpeel, 3dsmax shows me crappy uvs (most time totaly mess OR seperated faces instead of a nice uvelement) and a small text message appears which says "invalid uv please use flatten tool" what can i do to fix this bug? i dont even know why this happens cuz i didnt change anything.
Restart of PC and 3ds max doesnt help

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Swordslayer
in reply to: kem.star

@kem.star wrote:

If i use qickpeel, 3dsmax shows me crappy uvs (most time totaly mess OR seperated faces instead of a nice uvelement) and a small text message appears which says "invalid uv please use flatten tool" what can i do to fix this bug? i dont even know why this happens cuz i didnt change anything.

So, obligatory question - did you use flatten? When the UVs don't have the W coordinates all set to zero (i.e. 'flat' UVs), some tools can go bonkers all the while the UVs look okay in the unwrap editor. 

Message 3 of 13
kem.star
in reply to: Swordslayer

i tried with flattening and with no flattening but there is no difference
Message 5 of 13
kem.star

I attached the scene when the problem shows the first time.

But  the Problem occures in every Case. Even when i make a new Scene and create a simple Box it messes the uv up (my pictures upper shows a fresh new scene and with simple box)

PS: The Problem first appear in the Max 2017 , now i test it on an old max 2013 and it has the same Problem too now.
Both have seperate documents folders and seperate installations.

Could it be any problem with a wrong registry ?

my Hardware is

Windows 7 so everything should be fine

Message 6 of 13
Swordslayer

Well, with a box you can expect that, its default mapping uses multiple vertices repeatedly - in the case of 1x1x1 box, pairs of opposite faces use the same 4 verts to save mapping vertex count and there's no way to unfold that. You'd have to first apply planar mapping and only after that do the pelt mapping. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in the attached scene either.
Message 7 of 13
kem.star

Yea i know what you mean.
but look at this collage. I made a new box. done flatten mapping and after that i tried the different peel methods. but it dont work either.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/161103/biohkfay.jpg

biohkfay

do i missunderstoo something?

Message 8 of 13
Swordslayer

Peel will work only on continuous UV islands, set the flatten threshold to something high, like 180, to keep it in once piece, or apply planar mapping.
Message 9 of 13
kem.star

Mhh ok.. Is there any possibility to meet you via Skype /Team viewer for some questions about that?
Message 10 of 13
Swordslayer

Basically, if you apply planar map beforehands like in the attached gif, everything should unfold as expected:

quickPeel.gif

If you already have some mapping you'd like to keep, you can weld the pieces before using peel - either way, unconnected islands won't unfold as one.

Message 11 of 13

Hello @kem.star,

I'd like to chime in a bit about this issue.  I don't think this is a registry problem, for what it's worth.  I think that @Swordslayer is correct with his posts that those UV's are already split so they aren't continuous UV islands.  If you create the box and uncheck "generate uvs" does the problem persist?  

I am unable to repro this but I want to help regardless.  I have a few notes based on your screenshots.  First, unfold mapping would lead you right to the end result with a simple box.  The reason quickpeel is failing does appear to be because you have 6 separate uv mappings (1 for each face) instead of 1 continuous mapping.  Your seams are correct, but you are operating on faces that have already been 'cut'.  Once you work on a continuous island your images for Quickpeel should match your 'how it should look' image.  

Last but not least, if you find yourself with the image you are showing under "peel mode" hitting the "reset peel" button should automatically fix that for you. It did for me on my tests but perhaps I'm doing something slightly different.  Last but not least I wanted to mention that if you are on subscription (any level) you can schedule a call and teamviewer session with the support techs using this link, if you ever need it.  I'm happy to help in this thread as well.  

EDIT:  Spelling mistake not caught by spell check.

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 13

@Swordslayer thx for this Gif. i followed your way and it works perfektly. i tried it on the stuff i first see my "problem" and its solved 🙂 thx alot for that!

@Alfred.DeFlaminis

1. if i uncheck it. it works without any problems 🙂 thx for that tip!
2. i did now understand what you guys mean mit continous 🙂 thx again

3. reset peel works fine too. again a nice tip 🙂 But when i follow your link i just see this.

http://prntscr.com/d2qsch
so there is no call/support button

Message 13 of 13

Hello @kem.star,

Thank you for the comprehensive update!  I think maybe you weren't logged in currently.  It does hide and show elements on the page based on the persons current status with subscriptions so it may be that it was hidden since you weren't logged in.  Or, you don't have a subscription.  If you do, then just log in and you should see what I have posted below.  

screenshot.png

Best Regards!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report