Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax cant snap to selected poligon

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
arqrenderz
512 Views, 7 Replies

3dsmax cant snap to selected poligon

3dsmax cant snap to a selected poligon  Is there something im missing?

Currently, if you have polygons selected on a mesh while using the Edit Poly Modifier, you are unable to snap the Edit Poly's Slice Plane to anything. It would be helpful if you could.

Is there some workaround or option we are not using? or is just that this is working as intended? 

Would love to hear from autodesk guys or some experienced user. Otherwise i think this should be solved

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RobH2
in reply to: arqrenderz

Can you outline your steps a bit better and I'll try to reproduce your issue? It's a little difficult to discern what you are doing from your initial post. Maybe upload a short video. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8
arqrenderz
in reply to: RobH2

Hi , sure here is a video of the topic. 

Hope it helps to make it clearer.

Message 4 of 8
RobH2

Your video is very helpful. Thanks for doing that. 

I think I'm doing what you are. I attached a video. You can't snap to that selected set of faces but if you hit the 'Fit' button, it will automatically snap the UV manipulator to the selected faces. See my video and see if it works for you. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 8
arqrenderz

Fit will lose every coordinate the uv has, so its not a good option. Don't you really think this should be addressed? I mean its the ability to snap,  I think its very important to do so and to be able to do on the uvw or slice no matter what its selected or not.

Message 6 of 8
RobH2

The cool thing and the frustrating thing about Max is there are a million things you can do with it and almost that many different ways to do it. I've never needed the functionality that you need and are posting about here in this thread. And I don't fully understand why it has to be absolutely snapped to those faces instead of manually just getting it really close. But then again, I'm not working on your project and don't understand its intricacies. That doesn't mean it's not important.

I fully understand the personal perspective that the "most important" things in Max, are the things "I" need to do, and I do want it to do all the things I need, perfectly. Far too often, I have to resign myself to make up some workaround to get it to perform as I need it to. 

But, you know all of this. You just need it to snap the way you need it to. I wish there was some way to get it to do so. I tried adding a  point helper to a vertex at the corner of your planar selection and then snap to that helper, but that didn't work. There still may be some way to do it, I just don't have a good answer for you. 

I'd go to the '3ds Max Ideas' forum and suggest it. If other users agree with you that is a feature that really needs to be implemented, then maybe the developers will put it on their list. You never know. In the meantime, you still need to get your work done sometimes we have to find a work around.

I'm sorry my idea didn't work for you. I hope someone else can come up with a good solution. I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with something I'll jump back here. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
arqrenderz

Hi, i just think this is a very simple thing that in my mind would work. I can put the gizmo very close to the point i need, but again its a very simple thing im asking, will put it on the ideas forum, and cross my fingers on it..................................

Message 8 of 8

its not the best solution, but if you put another edit poly modifier on top of the modifier stack, it will snap to those elements (it works with the slice at least)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report