Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max won't let me pick custom section for sweep

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
743 Views, 2 Replies

3ds max won't let me pick custom section for sweep

So I'm not very experienced with this software but I am trying to create a mountain road with some small details like guardrails and such. I tried making the corners with the bend tool but it is a pain to use and I can never get the result that I want. 
So I gave up with that and tried making them with the help of the line tool.
I created my line and made it curvy, just as I want the road to be. Next up I applied a sweep onto it and wanted to pick my pre-made road (it goes in a straight line) for my custom sweep, it however did not let me pick it.
I decided to then separate the road from the guardrail and it still would not let me.

Is there a way around it so that I can pick my road as a custom sweep?
If not then how else should I make this?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm not very experienced with this software but I am trying to create a mountain road with some small details like guardrails and such. I tried making the corners with the bend tool but it is a pain to use and I can never get the result that I want. 
I created my line and made it curvy, just as I want the road to be. Next up I applied a sweep onto it and wanted to pick my pre-made road (it goes in a straight line) for my custom sweep, it however did not let me pick it.
I decided to then separate the road from the guardrail and it still would not let me.

Did you perhaps pick the path spline as custom cross-section? That`s not how the sweep-modifier works.

You add the sweep modifier to the path spline. Then you pick  the spline that defines the cross-section of the road as custom cross section.

Path orange spline, cross section is yellow:

Road.JPG

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

oh I see, thank you

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you perhaps pick the path spline as custom cross-section? That`s not how the sweep-modifier works.

You add the sweep modifier to the path spline. Then you pick  the spline that defines the cross-section of the road as custom cross section.

Path orange spline, cross section is yellow:

Road.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report