Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max Inset Problem

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4851 Views, 11 Replies

3DS Max Inset Problem

Okay, so I have this tutorial from youtube and am working on it. And encountered this problem.
This is an image from the tutorial
Inset Problem.jpg

And this is what I am getting.
Inset Problem1.jpg

I looked it up and got this page where the user had same problem.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116664

Used the solution(mentioned in the above link) of resetting the scale and transform in Hierarchy tab as I had scaled the object but still no luck.

Anything that I am missing?
Have attached the file so if you want you can check it on your system.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Select the object, Command Panel > Utilities (tab) > Reset XForm (you my need to click "More" and select it from the list).
Click Reset Selected. Go back to the Modify Panel, select the new XForm Modifier, right-click it > Collapse To.
The object has NOT been correctly reset (regardless of what the link tells you to do). You can verify this (before applying the above procedure) by simply selecting the Select and Scale Tool (with the object selected) and looking at the 3 spinners at the bottom of the Max Window. The "Z" value is not 100 therefore the object is scaled.
Rule 1 of Max - NEVER scale objects at the object level because (as you found) it causes all manner of problems. If you do (scale it) then you must, at some point, use the Reset XForm to "bake in" the scaling.

Also, looking at the lower of the 2 "circles" there are more vertices than there should be - the upper-left one is actually 2 and this will mess up the Inset quite drastically. Area-select them and click Weld before attempting the Inset.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 12
ekahennequet

Using the Reset XForm from Utility panel works. Also, you have extra vertex that needs welding. Avoid using Scale at object level.

Attached is a pic of your mesh after Reset XForm via Uitilit Panel, collapsed the stack, welded vertices, and Inset.

Message 4 of 12
ekahennequet
in reply to: Steve_Curley

You must have replied as I was typing, Steve. 🙂

Message 5 of 12
Steve_Curley
in reply to: ekahennequet

I'm good at that 😛 😄

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Can't thank you both enough. Was getting mad and irritated due to this problem.
Thanks for saving me.
Downloaded another tutorial in the meantime thinking to start afresh.Smiley Tongue

Now I can continue my work on this.

BTW, I checked but the vertices were welded and the settings were same as in the upladed file.

And you have written to avoid using scale at object level. Couldn't understand that. Sorry, but m a noob. Could you explain how to use it so I don't encounter this problem again?

Message 7 of 12
Steve_Curley

Sure. Select an Object, Scale it. That is scaling "at the Object level".
Select an object, select all its Vertices and scale them. That is not object scaling, but sub-object scaling (vertices, along with edges and polygons, are sub-objects) which is fine.
To scale an object (if you don't want to use sub-objects to do it) apply an XForm Modifier (from the normal list of modifiers), expand it in the stack, select it's Gizmo and scale that, then collapse the stack. Personally I find it as quick to use sub-objects as there's no need for a Modifier and no need to collapse afterwards.

As for the vertices, look at the lower "circle" and the upper/left vertex. Select it and move it. It will leave another vertex behind.

IPhoneDoubleVertex.png

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks dear. New info that will certinly help me in future.
And maybe I welded the vertices after uploading the file as my file had all vertices welded.
Anyways, thanks for the help. Have started working again on it.

Message 9 of 12
Steve_Curley

No problem. Better to learn about these "bear traps" early on rather than carrying bad habits forward into big projects where they can really mess things up.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 12
ekahennequet

Good to hear you got it working again. Just want to add to Steve's comments about scaling at object level. The same applies to Mirroring at object level. Mirroring at object level will result in negative scaling. Use the Mirror modifier or Symmetry modifier instead.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ekahennequet

I encountered the same problem today but Thanks to you guys, it was a piece of cake this time.
And I have seen tutorials sometimes using Mirror command or Symmetry modifier. Now I know how to properly use them.
And now I know that tutorials don't cover everything.Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, I know it's been a long time ago, but I see you understand this program. I can not find anywhere How to snap pivot to selected verts/edge/poligon normal ? I have used this option in other programs, there must be something similar in Max, Maya can also change the orientation. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report