Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Tear Off

Viewport Tear Off

Be able to detach a viewport to it's own floating window. Optionally maximize that viewport. This would allow you to use a second monitor just for a single viewport, this would be most awesome.

44 Comments
adam
Participant

The ability to have a detached viewport would be fantastic, particularly for client review. Boomer Labs NewView is great (and super fast), but currently it doesn't support textures, which compromises it's usefulness for client review.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

For multi-monitor use? A definite feature that should be possible, as Modo can already do it, and I believe Blender too. (Please correct me if Blender is unable to do viewport tearing.)

office
Collaborator

Blender can certainly do viewport tearing. http://www.versluis.com/2016/11/how-to-split-and-detach-viewports-in-blender/

You can also add as many viewports as you like.

nikoue
Collaborator

Also every viewport should has separate object visibility control.

So an object with is hide in a view to be visible in another.

Also give the ability to have more than four viewports. 

dongray
Collaborator

Totally need viewport(s) tear off.

More work in that direction in Max 2018, but the most important is the viewport(s) tear off to another monitor, we've been locked into the frozen Max viewport setup too long. Should be able to create as many views as desired on multiple monitors.

elosborne
Contributor

Currently very hard to work in multiple viewports when you want to see the result in your active camera viewport - this feature would be great for those of us who work with more than one monitor. 

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dongray
Collaborator
Under review!  🙂
wesParham
Participant

Tear-off on menu items is nice, too.  

Again, my reigning champion of 3D GUI is C4D.

Customization was intuitive and useful.

Moving to MAX feels like a step back in time for UI design.

nuno_moser
Advocate

This is a feature that I've been dreaming about this for many years and it look's like its not just me!

Would love to be able to have more than the fixed 4 viewports - tearoff / create detached viewports would be a great help, especially if they can be over and above the 4 limit. I would be fine with extended viewports only for any past the limit of 4 - that would at least allow multi-monitor setups that make sense (running 3 monitors as single monitor with Nvidia Mosaic, and the limited viewport options are painful where other applications work beautifully)

Please implement an extended viewport config which allows 4 3D viewports, but up to 9 viewports total, including Material editor and other "extended viewports" in viewports alongside a large central viewport. I use 3 monitors and find 3DS max is the only software that doesn't fit the 3 wide setup nicely.

I imagine a setup like:

Central full height 16:9 viewport with Camera/ Perspective view port (centre monitor, whole screen)

Left hand side, docked menus plus 2x2 viewports, Top and Left views default 3D viewports along right edge of screen. Material and some other Extended Viewport on left.

Right monitor could be a second 3D viewport or an ActiveShade viewport, depending on my workflow requirements.

I suspect this setup is becoming more common, and something like this is getting to the point of urgent if 3DS max is going to continue as a serious application.

Cheers,

Don

Tags (2)
sam_large
Advocate

I imagine this would come under the same school of thought as the "tear off viewport" which I believe is under review...

Still a great idea though!

electrotoast_old
Community Manager

I agree with @sam_large on both points. This is a great idea and is more in line with the tear off viewport. We'll merge these and any votes associated.

Thanks for the Idea!

Renderbydesign
Advisor

Ok this is a really good one if it has not been suggested yet or if there is a way to do it an I just am not aware of it.

I would love to have the ability to drag  a camera view into a second monitor. So i can toggle views in a working monitor while view the entire camera view.

brentscannell
Alumni

Would you say that this fits within this idea?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/viewport-tear-off/idi-p/6738064

Renderbydesign
Advisor

yes it sure does! Thanks

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! That is a very terrible idea. WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT!!!!!!! 

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Dylan-

Could you detail why you say that. What about the idea is counter to what you expect?

Thanks

-Michael

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

Renderbydesign
Advisor

I thought he was joking. I can't imagine he is serious or maybe he just don't not understand. There is plenty i do not understand.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report