Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to "escape" any process or command

Ability to "escape" any process or command

I would like the ability to interrupt or escape any command or process. For example, entering very large values into some input boxes (usually by mistake) can cause Max to try and complete requests which will eventually cause a crash. The ability to stop Max processing these functions would avoid a crash. At the moment, only some processes allow you to cancel them, I propose all commands/processes should be interruptible.

12 Comments
Momadarch
Advocate

3ds max can not recognize that the value is exceeded what you intended to create, What if you really wanted to add that big value?

Tupaia
Advocate

Max can't know, of course, but the user will, when Max is calculating for too long already. In that case an option to 'escape' the ongoing calculation (of whatever) makes sense.

Just like cancelling a rendering, when you see it's not going well, or takes too long.

However, introducing keyboard queries into function loops will slow them down, at least a bit.

elosborne
Contributor

I find this very easy to do accidentally in the modifier panel when using the middle mouse button to scroll, sometimes it can start changing the values in the boxes instead. Have experienced several crashes from this so an escape function would be very helpful!

attilaszabo
Alumni

Hi everyone,

I don't think we can escape any long running "process", but if you list the most important ones, that we can do.

We can also keep an eye on making sure new features added to Max that make use of long running computations allow the user to interrupt them.

Cheers

Attila Szabo

Agile Product Owner

3ds Max, Autodesk

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

mr_iceman
Explorer

By mistake I set a very large value of Chamfer Segments. The program for a long time has ceased to respond to requests, but the CPU is loaded only for 30 percent. I ask you to make changes to the program so that the CPU is used at 100% and the waiting time in such situations is reduced.

attilaszabo
Alumni

Hi everyone,

This idea is one of the top voted one, but unfortunately it is not actionable.

To make it actionable, we need a list of features that exhibit the problem described in the original post, and don't yet have a "cancel" calculation mechanism. One example of such feature area is saving a large scene file (File Save or Autobackup). We have taken note of that.

Short of breaking this idea into actionable pieces, I'm afraid we will have to archive it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Attila Szabo

Agile Product Owner

3ds Max, Autodesk

sam_large
Advocate

Sometimes Max just hangs. It happens.

I currently have two instances of the program open to work on two separate files. One is currently autosaving (I missed my opportunity to cancel) and the other...I accidentally hit Edit Patch rather than Edit Poly and now I have to wait for that to work itself out.

It is really annoying to have to terminate the program almost every time it stops responding as there is no indication if/when it will come back, how much progress I'll lose etc.

If I could cancel any/either of these processes and get back to working it would be much more productive.

Tags (1)
brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

rfred
Contributor

I have been a 3ds user since DOS.  This feature was added some years ago and has disappeared in the last 10 years or so.  It used to be possible to hit the escape key if you accidentally added a number in a slider that required very long computations or a risk of hanging. It was marketed as a great feature for improving stability at the time... pre Autodesk. The escape key stopped the calculation and returned the slider/numerical entry box to the default number I think, or maybe the last used number. This was kind of a big deal at the time... Windows NT I think.  I just had it happen to me simply trying to change the kerning on some text with a bevel... slider went way too far. Had to wait for quite a while before I could change it back to something reasonable. At leas it didn't crash.  In a heavy scene things like smoothing numbers have killed me many times by my accidentally "sliding" too far and then 50-100 instanced neuron cells have to update to the very unreasonable request I just accidentally made. The esc key used to stop the calculation.  So, Autodesk, this is possible.

alexnode
Advocate

Well, This could be very helpful. Here are some cases that I think it could be useful A. Wherever we have subdivisions like nurms, ,meshsmooth, chamfers. A warning maybe when we reach high sub-ds? B. In slate material editor , when we get scene materials, I am currently stuck at select by material command for a sketchup model with 1000 multi sub-object levels ( that's another issue). C. Retopology tools need escape functions. D. Particles etc. E. Imports of all kinds will benefit greatly. Exports too. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report