Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UI Quad Menu] An updated modern style inspired by new 3ds Max QT menus, Caddy Controls and Maya's Marking Menus

[UI Quad Menu] An updated modern style inspired by new 3ds Max QT menus, Caddy Controls and Maya's Marking Menus

Quad menu is one of those UI elements whose graphical style haven't been brought up to date. My wild guess for that is that Max users don't rely so much on it as the Maya users do on their Marking menus or Blender ones on their Pies menus. I don't use it either that much but this doesn't mean it shouldn't get a proper attention and have a style adequate to 2020. This is different than having different or extra functionalities and for this there are already a couple of suggestions out there. Therefore, this is just about the look.

3ds Max Quad Menu.png

The new menu style introduced with the new modifiers could also represent a small starting point to bring the quad menu to 2020's.

3ds Max new menu style.png

Among the places to possibly draw inspiration for a possible new style are the 3ds Max Caddy Controls and why not the Maya Marking menus.

3ds Max Tool box 2.jpg

Maya Marking menu 2.png  Maya Marking menu.jpg

6 Comments

duplicate pls. delete! *

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a plugin Octopus 2.0, already someone updating the quad menus as they should be.

yeah along the same idea. The best compromise is to combine the menus list with that kind of radial menus present in most of apps. For the style side alone I wish Octopus and the possible new QUAD menu would have the typical color scheme of 3ds max altogether: teal (blueish green) , yellowish orange, 50 % gray all combined like the Caddy Controls which is a good starting point and this will add to the consistency as well.

For example the Octopus uses one color (I think its a bit different than the default ones anyway) exclusively for one menu.

Octopus_visual

Intuos5
Advisor

In my opinion the choice for marking menu or Quad menu depends on the type of input device. A marking menu works better with a pen tablet, whereas a quad menu requires less mouse movement compared to nested commands in marking menus. Perhaps both could be there with an option to switch perhaps. A combination of both may also work like the ones from Maya (I presume), but then the user should have an option to place either the quad menu or the marking menu in the middle of the cursor location.

I find that the type of menu is not always decisive, it depends on the job at hand.

PaulCPC
Contributor

Iv'e never been a fan of the floating input controls. If the mouse moves out of the input then the control become invalid, rendering it useless. I often have to exit out of the edit and retry. I'd be much happier with the radial quad controls like the Octopus 2.0!

dean_dean
Explorer

Actually "Orphydian" with "Octopus" i have the latest version 2.0 and even in the first version you can change the colors of your octopus menus you can also nest them its a very handy plug in. you can change the colors of almost any aspect of your octopus menus.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report