Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard file open dialog

Standard file open dialog

Working with several projects and would love it if Max used the standard windows file dialog to open projects and re-link assets. Currently, I see some alternate version that shows things like 'Recent Places', 'Desktop', 'Libraries', etc. What I am wanting to see are my list of 'Favorites' which I use to easily navigate through a fairly dense network to the projects I am working on. I take the time to setup and curate list of favorites, but this dialog sort of throws that benefit in the trash.

Also, there is no way to navigate through an address bar, instead there is only a drop down for the current directory.

Wondering why Max would provide this dialog instead of the Windows standard? What benefit does this provide to users that I am missing? Just sort of a little annoying thing that adds another level of effort to an already busy day.

3 Comments
Swordslayer
Advisor

No benefit, this is the old standard system dialog. You can customize the Places bar to point to your favorites either using a 3rd party software or through editing registry.

As for address bar input, if you paste a folder path in the file textbox, you can navigate to any folder, too. Not ideal but may come in handy if you ever need it again.

StephenMF
Collaborator

Yes it's weird that it has stuck so long.

See what happens if you open the game exporter.
GameExporter.jpg

Until it's fixed I use Direct folders https://www.codesector.com/directfolders it works in all of Windows, and is very customizable.

Enjoy.
Stephen 

Anonymous
Not applicable
That looks very useful. Thank you for the suggestion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report