Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spinner & Caddy input + gestures

Spinner & Caddy input + gestures

Several workflow enhancements and speedups can be achieved by adding more gestures and input methods for the spinners. A few examples are the option of horizontal dragging and middle mouse click (& drag). This idea is supposed to become a place to discuss the various additions to spinner input methods, see: 

@brentscannell wrote:

I don't recall off the top of my head if a similar feature improvement has been proposed, but this could be an excellent place to log this idea and start some discussions about ideal spinner behavior. 

In the preferences, there should be a setting for spinner and spinner arrow increment (used with spinner snap). For example, have the arrow increment set to 10m and have the spinner increment per cm, so best of both worlds, hit the arrow for large values and adjust by spinner, rather than having to cover it all by spinner. It would allow for reduced mouse movement. 

I propose to add middle mouse button click on the spinner arrows as method to default to the previous input value, similar to right mouse button on the arrows to reset to zero. Aditionally, when using a caddy it could act as "apply and continue" when MMB click on an input box. Perhaps someone can come up with other functions that may be more suitable. 

Apply_and_Continue.png

When dragging with the left mouse button it there can be two additional gestures: Up/Down functions the way it does now, once the spinner action is initiated dragging Left/Right does 10x or 100x the input that Up/Down does. For instance, move Up/Down by centimeters and Left/ Right by meters. 

Alternatively, Right/Left could be used to increment or round values for both faster and more precise input by mouse, which is important to see the changes rather than typing over and over.

Currently, spinning in the Up/ Down direction adds the number set in the spinner increment settings. I propose the addition of Left/ Right movement to change the increment on the fly. So instead of adding by 1 it may add by factor of 10. The numbers it affects are highlighted in brackets [].

For example: first Up/Down spinning from a value of 1246 to an arbitrary value of 1273. Move Right to highlight more numbers, left to decrease. So, move right to go from an initial action  of 127[3] to  1[273], then spin Up to increase to 1373 and continue adding by 100. 

Another option is to add and round simultaneously, so adding from 1[273] the value jumps to 1[300] and from then on increments by 100. Moving left to 13[00] and spin again to increment by 10's to lets say 13[50].

As mentioned, please add other desired actions if you have something else in mind!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report