Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PBR Viewport Shader/Environment

PBR Viewport Shader/Environment

Unfortunately, when Nitrous was introduced it effectively 'broke' the 2 best viewport shaders available - 3pointshader and Xiolul - for displaying real-time/game assets.

I would like to see a native Nitrous shader aimed squarely at UE4/Unity look-dev(similar to what Modo recently introduced) Possibly a real-time environment mode in the viewport with .HDR lighting. And whereas the above mentioned shaders were previous-gen tech(diffuse/Spec) this would obviously be built for metal/rough PBR

I realise this can be set up using ShaderFX/Stingray but I find the SFX results to be pretty terrible.

68 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

i second this, even custom shaderFX created shader are not working properly, HDR cubemap mipmap display broken (PBR shader with rough settings) it's always pixelated. Nitrous display for hlsl/cgfx shader really need to be fixed.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to see a native PBR viewport similar to substance painter and blender. This viewport shows more shading errors than the standard and realistic viewports and would minimize friction between Max and game engines/PBR texturing tools. 

I always see errors in substance painter with shading that were not as visible in Max. Thus I have to go back and forth until the errors are fixed.

Making Max 1 to 1 with substance painter and game engines would vastly improve the workflow for artists in the game development community. 

Thank you 3ds Max Team!

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

ABSOLUTELY! I'm not sure why this wasn't or isn't on the radar before now. We need to be able to set the shader to Unreal or Unity, get at least a general idea of how they will look in game. 

The game engines are actively creating links to "pull" content but they are locked into available data. We need to be able to at least get a general idea of what things are going to look like. Maybe Autodesk doesn't see that if they don't embrace emerging workflow trends their products will falter. I know it seems impossible that the deeply embedded max and maya empire would crumble but that's what SGI along with hundreds of other products thought. Kodak is a perfect example. The next generation of developers have grown up on what they can access (Blender... has anyone actually tried to get maya into the hands of a 7th grader? thats for another post) The primary objective for max and maya needs to be "play nice with game engines" I know there was the live link for stingray but ..well yea. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are currently a few ways to do this, but the viewport certainly doesn't display things as it should. 

The older way would be using xoulil's shader, but that was killed a long time ago, the current way is using the DirectX shader or Stingray shader. 

I do think we should have an option, or shader that makes creating and visualising realtime models much easier in the viewport though, Currently there is a lot of inconsistency in Tangents, normals, lighting, and many other things. 

With how many people you have that want to use 3DS max as a game development tool, you would think this would be an easily accessible or implemented feature.

Have you guys seen blenders evee? ... You can view volume lights, see, dof, refraction and reflection of objects in viewport, dispersion, etc. And it's a free software. To add some salt to the injury, 3ds max broke nitrous viewport with the implementation of Arnold. I wonder what they were thinking, not adding the best features of Nvidia mental ray before announcing it..  Render to texture isn't even available anymore. 

Quite disturbing, and raises questions on 3ds max direction and how much attention is given to the software. 

Xerges
Advocate
Xerges
Advocate
musashidan77
Advocate

This is a waste of 19 votes. As Xerges pointed out I already have an idea for this posted with 81 votes in his link. If people had of searched first my idea would now be at 100 votes. This thread and its votes should definitely be merged with my own.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Musashidan77, Don't stress too much mate, we all want the same thing, its not a competition. The more we raise the idea to Autodesk, even in different wording, the more likely our ideas will be heard which helps all Autodesk users. 

If possible the threads should united.

I feel, and obviously many people agree that a PBR viewport would benefit a large portion of Autodesk users. Especially since Film and other interactive media besides games are starting to lean toward Real-Time rendering, 3ds Max should keep up with the emerging workflows it it wants to stay relevant. 

Offline rendering will start to fade as Real-Time gains fidelity. Perfect example is part of the latest Star Wars was rendered in UE4 to reduce waiting time and increase iterations for renders thus more productivity.

I'm not saying 3ds Max should compete with UE4, but rather to make the transition from 3ds Max to any mainstream PBR renderer more seamless as it currently is. (Substance painter, Marmoset, UE4, Unity, and so on and so forth). Therefore, seeing your objects in the same view port environment would be a fantastic step in the right direction for Autodesk!

Thanks in advance Autodesk team for listening!

musashidan77
Advocate

I know, mate, but I've been raising this on the beta forums for 18 months now so I'm a little bit passionate about the subject. It is a somewhat hot topic.

All I'm saying is that if people keep double and triple posting the same ideas then it weakens the idea. The way this works is obvious in that the more votes an idea has the higher it goes up the list. This ideas board is bloating by the day and the Max devs have limited resources so unless threads like this are unified then they will just get buried.

I hope you can see my point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@musashidan77 "if people keep double and triple posting the same ideas then it weakens the idea. " Are you sure? Is it possible it would have the opposite effect? 

If a thread is deleted do the voters get their votes back?

musashidan77
Advocate

@AnonymousI'm not sure exactly how it works but I doubt it.

dgorsman
Consultant

You have unlimited "votes" so it doesn't matter - there's nothing to "get back".  Multiple duplicate ideas doesn't exactly make things weaker, it doesn't make it any more likely to be considered either.  It does make for more work when they are trying to schedule work, and it makes it more likely they'll skip over some ideas which are superficially identical but the comments provide different perspectives on implementing.

As noted they have limited admin resources so it's helpful for users to keep an eye on things and identify Ideas which are clearly duplicates.  You can ping one of the discussion mods via the report tool, and request different Ideas get merged.  Be sure to include links to all related ideas as they won't go hunting them down for you.  If that happens the votes for each will be added to the main idea, and comments will also be added.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pleeeease, it's been so many years, everybody hates this!!!

Tags (4)
RGhost77
Advisor

...and make it optional of course.

rubenfWVT2F
Enthusiast

future consideration?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXatr01SfU 
Autodesk should re consider this seriously, your clients would save tons of money with a hardware game engine render.

BLENDER is winning big time guys.

grillo_domenico1
Enthusiast

I hope they merge the votes.

IgorPetan
Participant

I hope they will implement it soon.

Wolf-Man
Advocate

The viewport for 3ds max is so bad - it cannot be improved, just burn it and use Maya Viewport 2.0. 

Look at Maya with XGen hair and viewport 2.0 - its amazing. 

Mayas viewport is already really good so give us Max users the option to choose Viewport 2.0 from the settings. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report