Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge by Layer

Merge by Layer

It's crazy that Merging a File is so limited in terms of understanding the scene.

I want to be able to merge and add Xref Objects based on Layer.

See my other post for allowing API for .max files to know layers are in the scene.

10 Comments
aaronjrobin
Community Visitor

I have the same issue! 

When I open the Merge Dialog, I want to be able to see the Layers of the Objects that I'm merging, so that I can quickly merge Objects from specific layers. Otherwise, with large scenes, you have a huge list of objects all jumbled together. Unless you give the objects names that also refer to their layer, then it's very hard to sort through them when merging.

Seems after so many years of evolution Max would have sorted out this kind of basic functional flexibility...?

@DaveWortley Did you ever find a solution to this?

aaronjrobin
Community Visitor

People have been asking for this for at least 10 years... probably longer.

And there have been many new versions of Max in that time.

Deaf ears at Autodesk?

dbhinnant
Advocate

Absolutely!  It's a nightmare to merge objects from a team member who has not meticulously named all of their objects.

sconlogue
Explorer

I want Merge by Layer like I want a Porsche 918. Question is, which will happen first.....

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

Hope to see this feature soon.

DBRHumber
Community Visitor

I DEFINITELY hope to see this in 2021, it's a must have feature honestly, honestly right now organizing in 3DS Max is a mess when working in multiple file types.

I would really like this feature to be added, it would have been som much easier to merge a file from a large scene with tons of files, at least being able to sort by layer in the merge menu

Ehsan.Sarahian
Advocate

This's a good and practical idea. I hope it will add to accepted autodesk list soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report