Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material and textures instances

Material and textures instances

When working on animations where we have a lot of max files to use, sometimes having the ability to use the materials as an instance would be great.

My suggestion would be to be able to do 2 things.

1. When importing a material from a material library, give the ability to copy as an instance (like for a model). That way, if we edit the library all the scenes would be edited also. The basic benefit of an instance.

2. When duplicating a map, give the ability to edit it as an instance. That way, we can have muyltiple color correction doing the same thing in the scene.

Please tell me what you think about that.

5 Comments
electrotoast_old
Community Manager

Is this something like Xref Material? If you use Xref Material and point it to a Max file, you can load materials from it. If you change materials in that referenced scene, they update in any of the scenes the materials are referenced. Check out this link with some info.

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I don't know if I can resume this request or if I have to start another one.

In my case, electrotoast's suggestion is not useful. I have a large scene with several Xref objets. There are many materials shared by the Xref objects. If I want to change the settings of any of the shared materials, do I have to change it in every referenced object?

It would be great if I could change the "referenced material" in the material library and automatically see how the material is updated in every Xref Object.

Is there any way to do it?

Thank you.

Gil-G
Enthusiast

I think you would need to re apply a material and redo the references.

It will only work for your scene but you would have only one material to do that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Gil-G.

It is not an optimum way to proceed. Your first suggestion in the first post would be perfect.

It would be very useful if Autodesk could implement it.

Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report