Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install ONLY the 3ds Max in a language version(s) you need ???

Install ONLY the 3ds Max in a language version(s) you need ???

I find it very strange and actually programmatically LAZY that Autodesk chooses to make us install umpteen different language versions of a piece of software on my computer with NO ability to either a) choose which languages to install beforehand and b) no way of removing those unnecessary, unwanted languages after the damage has been done.

(see the attachment of my Start Menu).

I just want the English version of 3DS Max installed. 

I do not need South Korean, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, German (none of which I understand nor am I studying !) installed, and not even French (which I can) !!!!

13 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I 100% agree. It's stupid that you even started with this approach! Make special packages for languages that can be downloaded additionally.

JezEmin
Collaborator

Hi Igor,

Back when I was on Windows 7, I did speak to Autodesk and they told me that I couldn't extricate the version I needed from all the ones I didn't - i.e. there was no easy way to remove the unwanted languages...... 

But I'm now on Windows 10 for a few weeks (I'd been on W7 for a long time).  In Windows 10 Start-Menu, if you right-click on the icons of the unwanted language versions, you do have the 'option' of 'uninstalling' it - but I'm not prepared to try because I'm afraid that it'll mess up the entire 3DS Max installation for that particular version number.

RGhost77
Advisor

After install 3ds max I always remove language files except English in this folders https://pastebin.com/R3zkAET6 . I have no problem after that with Max.

JezEmin
Collaborator

@RGhost77,

Thanks for that 🙂

But there are many users out there who wouldn't want / know / feel confident to delete all of those folders.

Autodesk shouldn't expect anyone to undertake such a manual task as it'd surely lead to further potential issues (if/when not done properly) and everyone would've been better off if AD simply solved this issue in the first place.  After all, it is of their own making.

aaronfross
Collaborator

At the very least, the installer should not pollute my Start Menu with shortcuts to every installed language. The installer should know my Windows language preference and only create shortcuts for the languages I have chosen in the OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't like your idea about hiding mess, if user don't need it it should not fill up disk space.

doug_bowker_3D
Collaborator

Haha- Yeah, I know this isn't technically a high priority type of item but seriously, what's is up with this? How hard could it be to have a check box to allow us to install (or not) whatever language packs we need? 

Just yesterday when I happened click the Autodesk Start Menu folder- Holy crap it's insane how many useless shortcuts I have in there, especially with Max 2017, 2018 and now 2019 all installed. I don't see this happening with any other program that I'm aware of.

And BTW this is not just an "English only" issue:
Why would anyone who only speaks Chinese, of German, or French want to have all those other packs in their either?

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

MartinBeh
Collaborator
Agreed! Basically every other application out there has an installer that asks you which language packs you want to install. Multiple language directories not only take up disk space but also make maintaining 3ds Max more burdensome than necessary.
brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi everyone, I'm happy to report that a team has been assigned to research the feasibility of this idea. Stay tuned for more news, or join our feedback/beta community to take part in the conversation.

RGhost77
Advisor

Finally!

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

Great about his, can I also ask. Why there isn't a Spanish Version of 3ds Max?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so disgusted with the 3ds install. User for 20 years now. Having to re-install again due to issues. AD clean up you're act and fix Max.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report