Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve edge flow and avoid distortion when using quad intersection in chamfer

Improve edge flow and avoid distortion when using quad intersection in chamfer

without quad intersectwithout quad intersectdistortion with quad intersectdistortion with quad intersectthird party plugin(quad chamfer)third party plugin(quad chamfer)

7 Comments
Pac_187
Enthusiast

Yes, please expose more parameters of the algorithm. Maya always gives lots of options to play with (they are just hidden by default).

Would be nice to have the same advanced functionality in Max. This kind of actually applies to a bunch of other tools.

I think there's no one-fits-all algorithm, just give more control to the user, so he can adjust the parameters to fit his needs.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks for the input, if you have any details as to what you would want exposed or how you want it to behave please share.

-Michael

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Pac_187
Enthusiast

Hey @michael_spaw,

thank you for asking.

Take for example the different mitering options in Mayas bevel tool (3ds Max equivalent is chamfer):

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-A1C5EC72-AD48-4A7D-8577-1823B3832E14

Also check out how the the depth attribute of the bevel tool allows negative numbers, to have the bevel go into the opposite direction,

it ranges from -1 (inward) to 1 (outward), 0 will make it flat

3ds Max has a tension option but it ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 is outward and 1 is flat.

The other thing is edge flow, like mentioned by @Anonymous, which also applies to cases like the following.

2018-02-24_20-17-35.png

It gets even worse when you are using the Min. Angle option

2018-02-24_20-19-30.png

Maya handles these cases as I would expect it, though it doesn't have that cool Min. Angle option.

Also note that there are cases where Mayas algorithm fails, where 3d Max shows correct behaviour.

2018-02-24_20-20-21.png

This is probably a very specific cases, but it's a tedious one to fix when modeling.

It also kind of elminates the use of the parametric/stack behaviour of 3ds Max, since you always have to put a edit poly modifier on top, to fix those issues. Edit Poly is a destructive modifier, since it's heavily dependend on the incoming geometry, not really allowing any further changes to the incoming geometry after it has has been applied, thus it's usually best to be avoided when trying to keep things as parametric as possible.

As of 3ds Max 2018.4 the extrude method works as expected (read: "has been fixed") (nice!), but why not still keep the option to use the old way it worked?

There might be cases where that is of use as well. I know backwards compatibility is a hard thing to maintain and sometimes you have to throw out old stuff to make space for something new, but in this case I wouldn't consider it a fix, but rather more a different option on how the extrude can behave. I think what I'm trying to say is, when you tackle those issues/requests/ideas, try to evaluate how much the old thing is still of use and keep it as an option and not just replace it.

Thank you for reading/listening 🙂

I'll post more stuff when I find the time todo it.

has anything of these been addressed with newest Max updates ?

Pac_187
Enthusiast

I haven’t tested these particular cases again, but in the recent versions of Max the chamfer option/modifier got a lot of love from the dev-team and received a pretty big feature set through several iterations!

Take a look at the documentation, to see what’s available:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-05788689-F347-4B90-96B1-530EAAEC4A2B http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-05788689-F347-4B90-96B1-530EAAEC4A2B

I'm actively following Max development. But I dont know if the use cases in the original post were adressed. How to replicate those, I dont know

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea