Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide / Show by Category per Viewport

Hide / Show by Category per Viewport

I'd like to be able to have a viewport which only has geometry in it, and have another viewport which is only helpers, lights and shapes, and then maybe a 3rd viewport which is geo + lights.   Currently there is no way to do this.  

This would make lighting a lot nicer utilising Nitrous, it would make animating better as you could have bones visible in one viewport but not the other. It would make rigging better as your rig could be hidden from your camera view.... etc.... etc...

If you like this please post your use-case scenario for this. I firmly believe this one feature will benefit 80%+ of users on a daily basis and thus should be way above the priority of anything like Biifrost for max etc....

12 Comments
SuperRune
Enthusiast

Great suggestion! This is one of the things that makes it so nice doing character animation in Maya, being able to hide the rig from the camera view. Hope this and tear-away viewports make it to 3ds Max soon...

yiannisk
Advocate

That would be very helpful. Only remove clutter from the main viewport and allow for editing on the others. I hope we see this one day. (soon?) 

michael_spaw
Autodesk

+1

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are somethings great in both of these, which if combined into one single software, would make it a super-powerful one.

But that dream might not be fulfilled. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relatively new to Max and one of our newer animators is a Maya veteran.

He was asking about this selective display visibility per-viewport just today.

I've searched in vain and had to assume that it is just not possible in 3Ds Max.

I hope it becomes a feature.

erin_goddard
Participant

This would be hugely useful for character animation, Especially with facial animation, many rigs have extensive controls that make it hard to see the characters face. It would be nice to have a viewport that shows the character's geometry only from a camera view. 

It would save time having to toggle the display settings all the time. 

instinctvfx
Enthusiast

Yes please. Pretty please!

rauquenrol
Participant

That would really be useful, I was also thinking about allowing different slidertime for each viewport too.

Let's say you are editing the skinning on the rest pose but can see the deformation results live on other viewports with a different frame so you can see how it affects different poses at the same time.

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in 3ds Max 2022.3.

luke.penry
Enthusiast

could someone tell me where i can find the settings for this? I have the latest updates installed. thanks

SuperRune
Enthusiast

There should be a small filter icon at the end of the viewport info. You can right-click this to set your viewport filtering. It's a bit cumbersome compared to what's in Maya, but works well enough.

SuperRune_0-1655211587315.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report