Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialogue Box Retriever

Dialogue Box Retriever

I use three monitors running from a high spec laptop so that I can take my work away with me. The problem is that, when away, I only have the single screen on the laptop.

If I run 3ds Max the layers rollup, for instance, will always appear on screen if I click its icon on the ribbon, but the render setup dialogue box will not: because it is displaying on a non-existant screen somewhere to my left.

There is a tortuous way to retrieve it, but I have to keep Googling it. Life would be a lot simpler if there was a button that called all windows and dialogue boxes to the centre to be rearranged at will.

5 Comments
sphelx
Participant

I have a pair of suggestions for the meantime...

First is free - Unlock your taskbar and increase its size (even just by one line), and then decrease it back to wherever you had it; it should cause errant windows to pop back onto your single screen, I've had success with this in the past.

Second is not free, but is only $35 - DisplayFusion from Binaryfortress includes a huge array of multi-monitor setup and enhancement tools, including the ability to FORCE child windows of a specified application to open either on a given monitor, the monitor of the parent window, or the monitor on which the mouse is at the time of spawning.

But all that said, I definitely agree; we should have a single UI button/keyboard shortcut to call all child windows and dialogs to the same screen as Max itself.

dzodzu
Contributor

Well, I think the best would be to have workspaces, and a fast way to switch over them.

And if every single window or dialog box stored its last position and size in a workspace preset.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

PatrickFahey8819
Explorer

This issue continues to be a problem

Working with the software over multiple environments is important in the 21st century 

A simple recall button would be helpful 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report