Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a Lock selection on the Select Poly / Select Mesh Modifier

Add a Lock selection on the Select Poly / Select Mesh Modifier

Add a Lock toggle on the parameters rollout of the of the Mesh/Poly select Modifier to lock/unlock the current selection, and avoid loss of intricate selections while editing the stack of clicking in the viewport by accident.

6 Comments
electrotoast_old
Community Manager

You can hit the spacebar to lock the sub-object selection. You can also store sub-object selection in selection sets (you have to be in SO mode and on particular SO in order to see the sets relative to the SO type). We do have some workflows with Data Channel Modifier that works on sub-object selection or type, can output to a different type, to do something else.

But I'm imaging you're thinking of something different, right?.  Would this be like maintaining a selection sort like Crease Sets does that can be recalled later?

rene_alex
Enthusiast
Yes, it is like a selection set but inside the modifier. The idea is to further use of the nondestructive nature of the stack when modeling; for example: got a sketch of a shape but need to apply a chamfer to make those edges look round, (not all the edges but some here and there) apply a Poly select, pick the edges and put the chamfer on top (I know that the chamfer has the option to select the edges based on several characteristics of the model, but sometimes is not enough) after that, add more stuff on top and eventually collapse; but if I pick the poly select and click away, the selection is gone... and after a while it gets hard to pick those edges again, and again... and the selection sets get flush if you add or removes elements of the model... so the idea is that the modifier itself contains or store the selection based on the geometry below and if there is a way to keep several sets of selection; it opens up a lot of options.
michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks for the additional information.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

dswahn
Advocate

The most reliable generate-selection-in-stack method I currently know is to convert a selection to vertex colour channel data, and then via a Vol. Select modifier bring in that data as a permanent selection with Vertex Color map.

It's efficient and you never risk losing that specific selection in the stack.

Swordslayer
Advisor

Agreed, this would be nice. For vertex selection, this is kind of possible with Select by Channel but it's pretty cumbersome:

Channel Info - Add ChannelChannel Info - Add Channel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report