Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to set defaults that would hold when starting new scene

Ability to set defaults that would hold when starting new scene

I would like the ability to set defaults that would hold when starting new scenes. 

Examples

UVW Maps would default to Box and unchecked Real-world map size

Material editor would remember the material map slots

Remember exposure control settings

New materials would default to Standard

light presets

default to standard not Photometric

Omni lights would remember shadow parameters settings

Light lister would remember omni multiplier settings

Render settings

Would remember to use Quicksilver vs Art Renderer

Maintain use Ambient Occlusion

These are just some examples of task I routinely do every time I start a new scene.

If there is a way to preset some or all of these I will not request it. Otherwise I would like to suggest this in the new ideas forum.

Any outer suggestions that need mentioned we could add it to this list.

In AutoCAD you can save as dwt which is a template file and you setup everything once then save the file to the template file which is opened on new drawings

Thank you!

3 Comments
Tupaia
Advocate

Another good one!

Again, Cinema4D can do this already.

Load the attributes=parameters of any node=object into an Attribute Editor, and in the AE's menu Edit, choose 'Set as Default'.

It shows a waring dialog then, asking if you are sure to overwrite the object's default type.

Works for pretty much everything that has attributes.

screenshot C4D set as default.jpg

In Softimage, it's also possible. In any Property Page, above parameter sets, there's a little RMB context menu with an entry "Edit", that will load the .spdl file with the param defs into a text editor. You can change the defaults there and overwrite the file.

Swordslayer
Advisor

Sounds to me that what you listed is already (mostly or completely) there:

currentdefaults.ini : UVW Maps would default to Box and unchecked Real-world map size
current defaults / maxstart.max : Material editor would remember the material map slots
maxstart.max : Remember exposure control settings
current defaults : New materials would default to Standard

not sure what you mean here, just don't use photometric? : default lights to standard not Photometric
currentdefaults.ini / 3dsmax.ini : Omni lights would remember shadow parameters settings
not sure once again : Light lister would remember omni multiplier settings

current defaults / maxstart.max : Remember to use Quicksilver vs Art Renderer
maxstart.max : Maintain 'use Ambient Occlusion'

But I really like the approach @Tupaia shows to set a default value for an arbitrary parameter.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Archiving this as there is already a template system that does the majority of this. Check out the AKN for more info. There are some aspects it doesn't maintain like what Tupaia mentioned below, however that is covered under a different idea here. Add your vote on this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report