Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsMAX instances as tabs in one window

3dsMAX instances as tabs in one window

Hi there,

I would like to propose to have instances of 3dsMAX as separate tabs within the same 3dsMAX session, instead of separate processes.

Apart from making things less cluttered, it could open up a plethora of new functionalities - the simplest one being abe to copy and paste easily between max sessions, which is currently clumsy at best.

One could open up xrefs or usd assets in a new tab, edit them and see them update live, compare and list file and render settings between .max files, duplicate the file and test it in a different render engine (.usd, .mtlx, etc) with much greater ease.

I've always missed this feature, I'm sure there would be a large benefit to that.

Thanks for considering,

Viktor

6 Comments
truckexpert
Advocate

Good idea. I routinely have two and sometimes three instances of 3DS max running. I don’t know of any other way to edit a called Xref and the calling model at the same time,

Tabs are everywhere these days so yes!

JezEmin
Collaborator

This has been suggested many times before.

gandhics
Advocate

Well... I guess everybody has their own taste.

Fusion does this, and it makes me crazy.

I don't think I want to see this for max...

miauuuu
Collaborator

You can try the Groupy by Stardock. I have no idea if it will add all 3dsMax instances in one window with tabs, but at least you can try.

teamSP26J
Advocate

3ds max is like a big store with oportunities for scripters to make some money on lacking features 

https://www.3dtoall.com/maxtabs/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report