Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max Developer Grants

3DS Max Developer Grants

There is a lot of amazing talent out in the world creating tech and tools that enables artists and animators to be more productive or have amazing new options at their fingertips. We see this every year with new research papers coming from Siggraph, amazing work at our local universities in CompSci, fantastic talent in our studios who are passionately creating tools to enable people to work better or work around a problem, and of course new features that we see in updates that we see in other tools on the market. 

What is interesting though is that a lot of this work is being driven by some amazing individual talent and small teams, and often these developers are coming from a background where they lack solid financial backing to pursue a steady development process that can move these tools from a personal or research based environment into a more regular commercial phase that can benefit the greater community of users. As such my idea proposal is about Autodesk setting up a grant program that developers can pitch and apply for to craft new tools, add-ons, features/functions, etc. for 3DS Max.

Grants like this exist in a similar form from organizations like Mozilla, game engine developers like Epic (via their MegaGrants), or through government agencies (such as the Canada Media Fund, or other similar programs in other countries), but none of them are specifically driven towards seeing research, tech, and tools being driven from the 3rd party community towards a specific content creation tool like 3DS Max. 

In these program there are often 3 types of phases: Prototype, Production, and Marketing. Prototype is about creating a MVP, risky, with smaller grant amount, but the general idea is that something is being tried out. Production is about taking that MVP into a finish product, this is obviously more costly and still risky. Marketing is focused around the promotion of the tools, low risk, low funding. As such there is a wide range of potential to see research, techniques, and processes turned into functional tools and features that we can have at our fingertips.

Now there are catches with these types of programs, and I would expect no less from Autodesk (they are in the business of making money, not giving it away freely): 1) each application/pitch is often reviewed for the capabilities of the team and the validity of the idea, not everything gets funded unfortunately; 2) a recoupment method/model always exists to ensure that the money is recovered (often at a 50/50 rate until the grant has been recouped and then it shifts to an 80/20 split), with the potential that the work can be bought out at any time by either party; 3) there is sometimes an exclusivity, or support, period that is required for you play in a sandbox, and 4) you need to share data and information with your funder.

That is the jist of the idea. However I do feel that it is one that could be of extreme benefit not only to Autodesk but to all of use end users as well as it could mean that we get unique emerging tech faster, but see existing developers being able to focus more of their time and efforts onto developing and supporting what they create. I hope that some of you will see these same benefits that I do and join me at encouraging Autodesk to consider this idea.

12 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a good idea. Blender Foundation does something similar when they give grants to external developers with great success.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its a brilliant idea. 3ds max need more content like Tyflow and some of the Clovis Gay scripts/plugins. If a grant can bring in a developer and integrate or emulate a system we can use, then it has to be a good thing for everybody.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mauricio already mentioned the Blender Foundation. Additionally, the Epic MegaGrants, from the creators of Unreal Engine should be mentioned.

Mega Grants from Unreal Engine

Mega Grants.jpg

MartinBeh
Collaborator
For starters, how about providing a free license of the latest 3ds Max version to a developer, maybe with some kind of annual report on what the developer used it for? That might be much easier for a company to give than actual money?
dgorsman
Consultant

@MartinBeh - check out Autodesk Developer Network (ADN).

MartinBeh
Collaborator

@dgorsman what's free about ADN?

gandhics
Advocate

They have ADN Startup which is free.

Also I think Autodesk Expert Elite give access.

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

This is a great idea. 3ds Max needs a more flexible dev environment. The dev team cannot handle all the needs, just imagine how many new tools could be done if the process of creation and integration become easier.

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Hi everyone, I am moving this idea over to 'archived' status only because it's not really possible for a development team to pick this up and work on it as a new feature. We do appreciate your input on these product and company strategy level discussions however and I hope that we can keep the discussion going here.

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

@brentscannellso, how can this be done? I know it's not a feature.

brentscannell
Alumni

We can use this thread as a discussion topic. It just doesn't make sense to keeping counting votes on this topic because we won't weigh feature investment areas versus topics such as this, and the idea forum is intended to help us understand which items would be meaningful in the product for the developers to build next.

EricsUsername
Enthusiast

Hello Brent, where can we go to show support for Logan's post ?
..or maybe we should rent a billboard that is viewable from the ADSK board room ?   #joking

Happy Holidays

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report