Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does 3dsMax really suck? My opinion.

65 REPLIES 65
SOLVED
Message 1 of 66
Anonymous
8934 Views, 65 Replies

Why does 3dsMax really suck? My opinion.

3DsMax is long outdated both morally and physically. On the background of modern programs, it looks already lame and there are real reasons for this, in my opinion. 

The software base.
1) Firstly, why is 3dsmax paid with some licenses? I understand you make money, but you can make money in a different way! Why can't I download 3dsmax and just install it? Why should I go through any kind of identification, verification of login and password with the site, enter some keys, etc... This is an outdated approach, it's not relevant in 2021! People just want to download, click install and just run the program without all that nonsense. The second is the outdated software base, 3dsmax is loaded very long, very long, very long, so long that you can go pour coffee, drink coffee, come and it is still loaded! At the same time I have not a weak computer, amd 7, ddr4 16gb, GeF1080... The system is not weak.
The long load times in max are horrible. 
Maybe if 3dsmax didn't load everything, all the plugins built in, modifiers, mini-programs, etc. that it has, then the loading would not be so long, for example, I don't need all the modifiers and all the plugins with all kinds of scripts... I use 1\4 of the entire Max list, and when you start the program it all loaded immediately, but why? It would be nice to load just the right thing, for example to create a menu in which you select the components that you use, and all, ala Blender, loaded at startup the program only they are... you do not need others! 
Again, the example of Blender, turn off what you don't need and that's it... everything works quickly and the program opens from startup in 3 seconds!

smilenp2_2-1638007616012.png

Interface.
2) All components within the interface are wildly slow. For example, I have a scene and I want to expand the windows of scrolls and menus wider, I select the edge of the menu, pull, and 3dsmax starts terribly slow, everything glitches, everything hangs... why? What is done that causes such glitches and brakes? Well, nonsense, look at the same Blender for example, there you can throw a hundred menus and everything without brakes and glitches, and just as easy to remove them again. It's a shame that such problems in a program like 3smax, and this in 2021!!! 

3d viewport.
3)
1 - Horrible 3d viewport, horrible! Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Terrible!  Horrible! 
The most disgusting 3d viewport I've ever seen! Display shadows horrible, the mapping of reflections on the surfaces horrible, display glare and flare horrible, color palette and how it is displayed on the subjects horrible, there is no normal gamma adjustment and color correction display, the scene is overlit, then overlighted, then on the contrary goes into black... well, the most terrible 3d viewport!
Objects with additional maps like normal or bump look disgusting, you can not adjust the texture, for example if you make a model for the game you can not understand how it will look in Unity or UE... Why such a viewport I do not understand.
Example, don't look at the shading of the model, look at the shadow, I just included it in standard mode, without light sources. There is no material on the model.

smilenp2_3-1638008050678.png

You see the ripples, is that normal? That's crazy.
And here is the same model in Blender of the bases of light in the standard parameter.

smilenp2_5-1638008271111.png

Can you see the difference? 
I'm not even talking about bloom, surface mirroring effects, render mode of the same eevee... etc... 
I have a feeling that 3dsmax is a newcomer that just came out and doesn't understand what to do and how to do it. 

And then I turn on 1 light bulb, no materials on the model, everything is by default.
3dsmax

smilenp2_6-1638008603321.png

Immediately got artifacts, some glitches, sharp shadows, no transition of light into shadow, sharp edges, etc.. And all this I did not adjust, but just put a free bulb with standard values.
And now let's put the same bulb with standard values in Blender

smilenp2_7-1638008735745.png

Can you see the difference? Soft shadows, soft transitions of light to shadow, soft gradients, no artifacts, the shadow is smooth and beautiful... it makes your eyes happy. 

2 - Why not make an example of how it is implemented in Blender to switch the view mode to render one button, you can simplified render, but for example in Blender it is implemented perfectly!

smilenp2_1-1638007543284.png

There are lots and lots of things to go over in 3dsmax today, but I will draw my conclusion.
Conclusion:
I have been working with 3dsmax for a long time, for about 7 years, I love it, but I am very sad to see the decline of such an editor. If 3dsmax doesn't start changing itself, and doesn't evolve, it will die, and its death is already on the doorstep.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
65 REPLIES 65
Message 2 of 66
attilaszabo
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous ,

Thank you for your candid post regarding your experience with some aspects of 3ds Max.

As a member of the 3ds Max product management team I'd like to acknowledge that there are areas of 3ds Max that need improvements.

1 – Accessibility

Indeed, getting the trial version of all Autodesk products requires the user to create an account with Autodesk. 

I understand and I agree with the point of view that users should have direct access to trial software. I will do my best to promote idea to the right teams within Autodesk. 

2 – Long startup time

Compared to Blender, 3ds Max does take a long time to start. I have personally worked on this issue many years ago and so have an appreciation of the challenges involved in solving this problem. The loading of all the plugins contributes to this problem, but there are others that are challenging to solve such as threading the compilation of all the scripts 3ds Max relies on. Nonetheless, we are aware of this problem and wish to address it in a meaningful way, i.e. improve it significantly.

3 - Sluggish UI

UI is another area that definitely needs more work. We have started Qt-fying the 3ds Max UI and we need to continue that work. 

4 – Viewport display

The bulk of your feedback is about our viewport. We'd be interested to know whether the geometry in your screenshots was modeled in 3ds Max or was imported? My colleagues in charge of the viewports could look at it and respond to your comments here.

In closing I want to say that no DCC is perfect. Each product team has to make difficult tradeoffs about where to invest the available engineering resources.  Product management works with feedback gathered from different user personas (ex. TD vs modeler), different industries (VFX vs design viz), different team sizes (freelancer vs advanced studio). That being said, there has to be a healthy balance between maintenance, addressing usability and performance issues, and developing new features.

We created the 3ds Max Ideas forum to give all our users a chance to suggest improvements and new features, allow them to discuss them at their convenience and cast their vote on their favorite items. Please, if you wish, add your vote to one of the existent ideas or create your own if you can't find it there.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback!

Attila Szabo
Product Owner, 3ds Max
Autodesk
Message 3 of 66
Anonymous
in reply to: attilaszabo

I am very surprised and flattered that they answered me, to be honest, I did not expect to receive an answer, and even more so from a person holding such a prominent position in the company, thank you very much.
Do not take my opinion about 3dsmax as an insult to your work, this opinion can only sometimes be expressed by the soul.

I work as a freelancer, create 3D models for games, and by the nature of my work I work not only in 3dsmax but also in Maya and Blender, from 3D programs, so I have an understanding of comparing these programs.

1-2 - the duration of loading the 3smax itself after launching the shortcut from the desktop, between my friends from the 3d world has already become a meme and only the lazy one does not throw a joke in this direction on how long it takes to load, what can you go on vacation and come while it is loaded, and for example, those who work directly in Blender are generally so teased that for Blender you don't even need an installation, but you can just run it from a flash drive, and 3dsmax is just an old wreck on its background .. and it's a shame to listen to ... I love 3dmax .. as if..

Our second joke is that 3dsmax crashes so often that even in the last update you improved autosave on purpose ... and it's funny .. but not funny.

The third joke is that while all the software switched to the "download-install-run" principle .. 3dsmax still requires the input of some keys .. registration is somewhere .. confirmation of something .. and such .. in 2021-22 it is such a rudiment that it’s embarrassing to become ... especially against the background, again, Blender. I perfectly understand that this is your protection against unauthorized use of the product, but you can also make a free version of all this, for example, just for ordinary people, not studios or companies .. without registrations and confirmation keys .. downloaded-installed-worked ...

3 - By the nature of my work in the gaming industry, I have to not only model an object, but also texture it and not just texture it, but so that I understand how the object will look in the game engine, and for example I created the object and painted it in Photoshop it has a normal map, I apply it to the object and it is displayed in a different way than it will be in the game .. and this is not a problem that I don’t know what material to use, and so on .. but the problem is in 3dsmax itself, since, for example, doing the same in Blender or Maya, I can see and understand perfectly how the model will look in the game engine .. and I don't need to export the model to the engine 100 times to check if I did it or not ...
I understand that there are many types of game engines, but the most popular are UE and Unity, and it would be great to understand in 3DsMax what I am doing and how it will look in the engine in terms of textures, and not be mazachism with exporting and editing ...

4 - 3d viewport is my most important part!
I have a 3d viewport always open to the maximum view and I model at 99%! time in its full form !! Not in 4- windows, but in 1- 3d view!
Displaying objects in 3D viewport is the most important thing for me! how shadows look, texture, reflection, color saturation, smoothness of gradients. I often do different aspects of working in 3D viewport! I meet in my work, for example, I often need to bake a complitmap of an obet with its shadows and reflections, and this is difficult to achieve when the shadow looks like a pile of sepia ..., and the reflection is like a rubbed copper plate ... And it's just difficult to model when on the surface where the light falls from the camera, everything is bright in gamut 1, and immediately behind the break there is a black shadow .. and when you set the gamma to 2.2 .. then everything becomes even more contrast and that in the dark zone it ceases to be visible at all, and there, for example, me I want to check how the texture unfolds ... it would be nice to make the light-shadow setting more flexible .. At the same time, I do not want to install V-ray ... Corona .. some other additional program .. I need it in the standard functionality, especially after I open the model in Blender and then I need to do something through 3dsmax and I seem to be in the past ...
(forgive me for citing Blender as an example, but this is how it turns out)
I understand that you have invented some OSL materials there .. but I will tell you .. from my experience and all my friends .. no one uses this, 100% of all my friends who work in 3dsmax use a simple Physical Material.

5 - You, of course, do a lot of new things, for example, you have a retopology modifier .. well .. yes .. it is convenient somewhere, but we admit that 99% of people do retopology manually! For example, I use Maya for this .. That is, while working in 3DsMax, I also had to launch Maya to do the retopology manually ... because as it turned out, 3DsMax has disgusting retopology tools! The points are difficult to create, they do not understand where they are connecting, the hitting accuracy is weak .. inconvenient toolkit for working in this segment .. Maya, in retop, manually puts 3DsMax on both paddles in the ring, and as a person who needs to do it, I have to keep 2 programs!

Pivots.
Working in pivots is a separate topic ... I had to download special scripts, since it is impossible to conveniently work with pivots without extraneous scripts.

Normals.
Working with normals for me is 2/3 of my work with models, I often need different manipulations with normals, for example copy-pasting .. and not 1, but for example a whole group of normals ..

Or for example aligning normals ...

Or setting the normals of a certain type, for example, I have a plane and I need to emit normals on it as if it has a curvature.
For example, I was making a car and I needed to make a bulge effect on a flat surface like a mirror.
In general, I do a lot of work working with normals, and as it turned out, in 3DsMax there are no tools for convenient work with them, there are 2 tools, but they are extremely primitive and do the simplest things, these are Normal Edit and Weight Normal .. the functionality is extremely poor and I had to search the Internet for scripts to work ..

smilenp2_0-1638471439687.png

Or, for example, I need to transfer normals from one object to the second object .. and it turned out that 3DsMax does not know how! Blender and Maya can, but 3DsMax cannot.

Or another example from my practice, I created a model, baked normals on it using the Make Explicit function from the Normal Edit modifier ... then I need to attach an element to this model, I select an element, attach it and the normals begin to break at this point !! Why can't 3dsmax understand that at the extreme vertices it is necessary to take the position of the normal of another object ??

smilenp2_1-1638471581170.png

On simple models, you can ignore this, but if a complex model, I set up the shading for a long time, and then it broke and I have to manually go through the entire model along the connection border, and there can be thousands of vertices, it becomes hell. Blender understands this and Maya auger, and only in 3DsMax such a problem.

smilenp2_2-1638471926479.png
Here, after Make Explicit, I simply separated several polygons, "zeroed" them to the normals, and then attached this piece to the common hood again, and for some reason .. 3DsMax did not understand that it would be good to take the normals along the contour from another object .. . and I had to manually copy-paste to each vertex. This is just the hood, but imagine a disk, there are about 1,500,000 polygons.

5 -
About the model that is in the screenshot from my post. The model is made entirely in 3DsMax from Plane, the material on it is Physical Material, without settings, just as it is dragged into the materials window from the menu and applied to the model.

smilenp2_1-1638473668841.png

I really hope that 3Ds max will begin to evolve.

Message 4 of 66
attilaszabo

@Anonymous, thank you again for your feedback which contains a lot of constructive comments, with detailed examples and screenshots! We appreciate your time and effort to write it up for us.
I will let some of my colleagues comment on the viewport and modeling related items.

Attila Szabo
Product Owner, 3ds Max
Autodesk
Message 5 of 66
Carlos_Carpintero

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for your feedback, I want to address some of the rendering and viewport concerns you brought up.  Before getting into it, without having a file to compare with, it’s a little difficult to know exactly what you refer to sometimes, but I will do my best.

Regarding the Normal maps not displaying in the viewport in the same way it’s displayed in the game engine. We have had reports similar to this and it was because the gamma of the texture was set incorrectly. When you are in the File Browser window where you select your Normal map, you have to set Gamma to 1.0 since it is a data map. Under the Gamma section of the Select Bitmap Image File browser, click Override and use 1.0. Hopefully this will solve your issue.

Regarding the quality of shadows and lighting in the viewport, in 3ds Max 2021 we introduced controls for the Progressive Skylight, Shadows and the Ambient Occlusion that would hopefully solve many of the issues you are facing. That being said, from your screen shots, I think you are trying to adjust the shadow quality using the Lighting and Shadows > Quality property in the Viewport Settings. The Quality setting is a legacy feature that was created many years ago and was meant to work the legacy lights that ship with Max. We know this setting is something we have to either improve, or perhaps completely change for it to work as users expect it should. To solve your issue, my recommendation is to change the way the light is emitted. Select the light, and in the light’s properties, look for the Shape/Area Shadows drop down, under Emit light from (Shape), change it to something other than point. Giving the light a shape to emit from will give more samples to the shadow to calculate with in the viewport and they will resolve better. In fact, if you look at your image in Blender, you have set the light to have a Radius of 0.25m, so if you set your light in 3ds Max to something similar you should be much better shadows.

Regarding the black, grainy shadows on the front of the car, it looks like ambient occlusion is turned on and it is to strong. The Blender image you compared to doesn’t seem to have any AO on it at all, but perhaps I am incorrect, this is where it is difficult to judge without a file. To avoid the black noisy spots seen in your image, I would adjust the radius and strength, or turn off Ambient Occlusion completely and see if that helps.

We appreciate you taking the time to write all your issues in such detail. Please join our Beta and you will have direct access to the developers who can address your concerns. There is also the Stack Facebook group that is dedicated to 3ds Max where users have reported issues, the 3ds Max team also keep an eye on messages there for issues.

Best Regards,

Carlos Carpintero

Product Owner, Rendering team

Message 6 of 66
whitebirchstudios

I really can't use MAX anymore. I have been using it for 20+ years, and the last five years have been a nightmare. I spend more time opening a scene, crashing, and waiting for the not-responding crap, than I do working.  Opening the material editor is painful, too. I have been waiting 9 minutes for a scene to open now that crashed after dragging and dropping an object from one layer to another. Earlier today, I was orbiting my model, all the textures turned to checkboard, and I couldn't select anything in my scene, so I had to crash MAX. I mean, it is always something. I can use a script many times, and suddenly, I'll use it, and MAX will freeze. Blender just had a  major release, so I am seriously thinking about taking that route. 

Message 7 of 66
Anonymous
in reply to: Carlos_Carpintero

About normal maps, it's not about the scale, and Max himself does not show them that way, for example, the effect of the convexity of moments looks different than when you import into the engine, etc.
I always work either with the gamma off, or with the gamma 2.2
Make a more flexible system for adjusting brightness, color, saturation in the viewport, except for gamma.

That is, first of all, you know about this problem and all exactly left it? Gorgeous. I haven't tried to configure anything yet, I don't need it, I see a light bulb, I transfer it to the viewport and everything should work, I don't want to sit for hours in a complex menu hierarchy and spend my working time on the quest "find the right tick", my working time is too expensive to search for ticks. I gave an example of a blender, put the same light bulb with default settings and everything worked. Why do I have to adjust it in max after adding a light bulb for half an hour?

Yesterday I had to bake a complete map for one element, I put a couple of light bulbs in the viewport, I needed a beautiful soft shadow and .. I couldn't, everything looked very bad in max. I opened the blender, put the light bulb on, turn on the display via cycles, and immediately got a colorful effect, without parameter settings, only the radius of the light bulb and its power .. everything.. Why can't I do the same in max? I'm not a blender, it's just a shame.

Regarding the black...

smilenp2_0-1639207437065.pngsmilenp2_1-1639207475932.pngsmilenp2_2-1639207487416.pngsmilenp2_3-1639207497208.pngsmilenp2_4-1639207542594.pngsmilenp2_5-1639207567488.pngsmilenp2_6-1639207608112.pngsmilenp2_7-1639207628099.png

That's how to work? 
The viewport can't even adequately show me the result! Everything looks terrible.
I'm sorry, but the viewport should be cut out and thrown out of 3dmax for not working, or make it really good so that you can see something in it. In general, it is necessary to change the viewport to a working one.
My pc: 

smilenp2_8-1639207887621.png

My advice. Make an alternative version of 3dmax, only with the most working things, let there be 1 modifier and 1 light bulb, but it will work as it should, and I assure you, it will be more popular than the old version in which there are hundreds of different modifiers and parameters, but everything works poorly..

Message 8 of 66
Anonymous
in reply to: whitebirchstudios

Yesterday I was given the task to make a character, I sat down to do it in max, I got to the point where I had to check it how the shadow falls, and so on.. as a result, I switched to a Blender and did it in a Blender..
I'm not a blender, I want Max to be good, it's a shame when the editor to whom you have devoted 10 years of your life looks like an old shoe against the background of new shoes.
Message 9 of 66
deriabinromana

Why are you using 3D max? You are fine with Blender, just work in it. Most of your complaints boil down to the fact that it was not done the way you want. There are problems in 3D max, but they are not critical for work. The market is full of 3D programs, choose whichever suits you best. You can try MODO or Cinema 4D, look for what suits you, I just want to upset you, you need to buy them all.

Message 10 of 66
Anonymous
in reply to: deriabinromana

If I didn't care about 3dmax, I wouldn't bother creating a thread in the forum.
It's a shame about the program.
Message 11 of 66
neyevac586

I agree with the post, for example, I compared two viewports, the first is 3ds max, the second viewport is Blender, everywhere the gamma is at 1. Even a stupid person can see that the 3ds max shadow abruptly goes to the black position and practically nothing is visible, while in Blender at the same angle everything is clearly visible and it is clear what texture is in the shadow. One of the most striking examples is the last screenshot of the skirt of the car, which shows a gradient in the Blender viewport, and in 3ds max everything is just black. The 3D viewport in max is bad, it's clear to anyone.
photo_2022-02-01_18-02-27 (2).jpgphoto_2022-02-01_18-02-27.jpgphoto_2022-02-01_18-02-27 (3).jpgphoto_2022-02-01_18-02-27 (4).jpg

Message 12 of 66
sqwert
in reply to: neyevac586

Have been learning to use rather a lot of tools the last 3 years, Zbrush, 3DCoat, Houdini, Blender, Fusion360 (meh Im addicted to tools). But cannot remember Blender crashing on me, Fusion360 when I try a strange Loft will crash. And the odd crash in Zbrush. Cannot imagine how it feels to have to save every few minutes due to fear of losing your work.

Message 13 of 66
JezEmin
in reply to: sqwert

"Cannot imagine how it feels to have to save every few minutes due to fear of losing your work."

I've been a user of 3DS Max since 3D Studio R3 (1995) - I'm not an everyday user, but I use it nonetheless.

Your sentence above, is what I find myself doing all the time - and seeing you write that you've never had crashes in other software does make me realise how used to saving files I've gotten over the years, it is my 'norm' but is 'not normal'.......

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 14 of 66
sqwert
in reply to: JezEmin

Trying Max indie. Will see how it goes with a clean installation.   

Blender 3.01 start time 5-6 secs, getting longer as I add more addons, have more also.

Max time 10-12 

All good so far, mesh is 150k verts, 452k faces from Fusion360

Message 15 of 66
sqwert

Playing with Auto retopo tool, nice results after an hour learning Max. Better topology than Zremesher in Zbrush with the same problem area highlighted. Mesh is straight from Fusion360, no mesh cleaner or SubD, just smooth groups at 30degrees

Message 16 of 66
I_Megaman_i

@Anonymous wrote:

3DsMax is long outdated both morally and physically. On the background of modern programs, it looks already lame and there are real reasons for this, in my opinion. 

The software base.
1) Firstly, why is 3dsmax paid with some licenses? I understand you make money, but you can make money in a different way! Why can't I download 3dsmax and just install it? Why should I go through any kind of identification, verification of login and password with the site, enter some keys, etc... This is an outdated approach, it's not relevant in 2021! People just want to download, click install and just run the program without all that nonsense. The second is the outdated software base, 3dsmax is loaded very long, very long, very long, so long that you can go pour coffee, drink coffee, come and it is still loaded! At the same time I have not a weak computer, amd 7, ddr4 16gb, GeF1080... The system is not weak.
The long load times in max are horrible. 
Maybe if 3dsmax didn't load everything, all the plugins built in, modifiers, mini-programs, etc. that it has, then the loading would not be so long, for example, I don't need all the modifiers and all the plugins with all kinds of scripts... I use 1\4 of the entire Max list, and when you start the program it all loaded immediately, but why? It would be nice to load just the right thing, for example to create a menu in which you select the components that you use, and all, ala Blender, loaded at startup the program only they are... you do not need others! 
Again, the example of Blender, turn off what you don't need and that's it... everything works quickly and the program opens from startup in 3 seconds!

smilenp2_2-1638007616012.png

Interface.
2) All components within the interface are wildly slow. For example, I have a scene and I want to expand the windows of scrolls and menus wider, I select the edge of the menu, pull, and 3dsmax starts terribly slow, everything glitches, everything hangs... why? What is done that causes such glitches and brakes? Well, nonsense, look at the same Blender for example, there you can throw a hundred menus and everything without brakes and glitches, and just as easy to remove them again. It's a shame that such problems in a program like 3smax, and this in 2021!!! 

3d viewport.
3)
1 - Horrible 3d viewport, horrible! Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Horrible!  Terrible!  Horrible! 
The most disgusting 3d viewport I've ever seen! Display shadows horrible, the mapping of reflections on the surfaces horrible, display glare and flare horrible, color palette and how it is displayed on the subjects horrible, there is no normal gamma adjustment and color correction display, the scene is overlit, then overlighted, then on the contrary goes into black... well, the most terrible 3d viewport!
Objects with additional maps like normal or bump look disgusting, you can not adjust the texture, for example if you make a model for the game you can not understand how it will look in Unity or UE... Why such a viewport I do not understand.
Example, don't look at the shading of the model, look at the shadow, I just included it in standard mode, without light sources. There is no material on the model.

smilenp2_3-1638008050678.png

You see the ripples, is that normal? That's crazy.
And here is the same model in Blender of the bases of light in the standard parameter.

smilenp2_5-1638008271111.png

Can you see the difference? 
I'm not even talking about bloom, surface mirroring effects, render mode of the same eevee... etc... 
I have a feeling that 3dsmax is a newcomer that just came out and doesn't understand what to do and how to do it. 

And then I turn on 1 light bulb, no materials on the model, everything is by default.
3dsmax

smilenp2_6-1638008603321.png

Immediately got artifacts, some glitches, sharp shadows, no transition of light into shadow, sharp edges, etc.. And all this I did not adjust, but just put a free bulb with standard values.
And now let's put the same bulb with standard values in Blender

smilenp2_7-1638008735745.png

Can you see the difference? Soft shadows, soft transitions of light to shadow, soft gradients, no artifacts, the shadow is smooth and beautiful... it makes your eyes happy. 

2 - Why not make an example of how it is implemented in Blender to switch the view mode to render one button, you can simplified render, but for example in Blender it is implemented perfectly!

smilenp2_1-1638007543284.png

There are lots and lots of things to go over in 3dsmax today, but I will draw my conclusion.
Conclusion:
I have been working with 3dsmax for a long time, for about 7 years, I love it, but I am very sad to see the decline of such an editor. If 3dsmax doesn't start changing itself, and doesn't evolve, it will die, and its death is already on the doorstep.

Whats your PC config? I have no problem with loading times or the UI. You can configure UI colors as you like. But I agree on the viewport part. 3ds max viewport could ve used RTX long time ago.

Message 17 of 66
sqwert

Have been giving Max a hard time with high poly meshes from Zbrush. It does not like 3.5million verts selected whilst navigating in the viewport. 

The selection movement gizmo is incredibly fiddly, whilst the selection plane might be highlighted, one needs to click in a certain small area.

I have no problem with the rest of the UI.

Have only had 1 crash since starting to use Max.

Have been importing and playing with the retopo tool some 10 hours a day, trying different settings.

The retopo tool seems much slower than Zbrush when it comes to a 700k vert mesh (to 50k) by some 10X, but produces a cleaner mesh on the 50k down to 5k than ZB does.

Still much to learn but getting used to a workflow that consists of Fusion360 > .step file into Max, retopo to clean up the topology > .fbx into ZB to dynamesh to a high poly of a few million polygons for sculpting, then duplicating the tools and Zremesher to less than 100k > .fbx everything into Max to make a final low poly.

Message 18 of 66
I_Megaman_i

@sqwert wrote:

Have been giving Max a hard time with high poly meshes from Zbrush. It does not like 3.5million verts selected whilst navigating in the viewport. 

The selection movement gizmo is incredibly fiddly, whilst the selection plane might be highlighted, one needs to click in a certain small area.

I have no problem with the rest of the UI.

Have only had 1 crash since starting to use Max.

Have been importing and playing with the retopo tool some 10 hours a day, trying different settings.

The retopo tool seems much slower than Zbrush when it comes to a 700k vert mesh (to 50k) by some 10X, but produces a cleaner mesh on the 50k down to 5k than ZB does.

Still much to learn but getting used to a workflow that consists of Fusion360 > .step file into Max, retopo to clean up the topology > .fbx into ZB to dynamesh to a high poly of a few million polygons for sculpting, then duplicating the tools and Zremesher to less than 100k > .fbx everything into Max to make a final low poly.

free tip, if you want a cleaner and bug free mesh, you should export from Fusion in *.obj. Sometimes *.step doesnt work as expected;-)

Message 19 of 66
sqwert

The subdivide tool needs to be set to manual as default to avoid long delays before one can actually set the function your after.

No idea why the retopo tool only uses a maximum of 7.5% cpu

The .step files works pretty well, I use "flatten" to remove all the groups and 10 quality. Use mesh cleaner to remove degenerates. No complaints on the results.

Will try .obj today.

Dont really want to use the retopo tool on a 1.8 million vert mesh, takes long than a hand retopo in 3DCoat 🙂

Message 20 of 66
I_Megaman_i

@sqwert wrote:

The subdivide tool needs to be set to manual as default to avoid long delays before one can actually set the function your after.

No idea why the retopo tool only uses a maximum of 7.5% cpu

The .step files works pretty well, I use "flatten" to remove all the groups and 10 quality. Use mesh cleaner to remove degenerates. No complaints on the results.

Will try .obj today.

Dont really want to use the retopo tool on a 1.8 million vert mesh, takes long than a hand retopo in 3DCoat 🙂

I should also mention that the *.stp workflow will require you to reset vertex normals and perform weld every time you convert it to an editable mesh:-)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report