Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White line fever

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1259 Views, 6 Replies

White line fever

Hi all having some trouble with my scene and need some help with this because i have not got a clue on how to solve this.
The problem is this the scene is a bit heavy and i am having to render it out in several parts, but when i drag them into photoshop i get a white border around everything. ive looked online and some say to "Render against black background.check the premultiplied interpretation
and if you using Exposure Control Make sure you enable Process Background and Environment Maps"
Ok so i cant render against a black background. and i do have exposure control on and enable background environment maps.i am using iray and i dont think there is an option for premultiplied interpretation well none that i can find.
After reading bits on the online max help they say to save the file in a format that supports alpha channels.
ok so i tried that saved as a tiff and found the alpha channel in the channels bit in photoshop but then in photoshop i go to layers matting and to the options there and remove black and remove white does absolutely nothing.
Ive tried creating a selection from the alpha and deleting what i dont want from my picture but this method removes detail from the edges and looks terrible as you would expect, and this cant be how its done in the real world.
Ive also read that phtoshop dont do alphas properly and to use after effects well ive tried this and yes after effects recognizes the alpha and removes the background but again leaves a white line around everything no matter if i select straight or premultiplied matted with color in the interpret footage bit.
so any help that people can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Yes i am a simple noob so please use simple directions as i have not got a clue.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The reason is that your alpha is pre-multiplied with your background (white in your case). For After Effects, you'd have to specify that it was pre-multiplied on white so it knows how to matte it (the default setting is black). So the easiest way around your problem is to save to a format that gives you the option to save a straight alpha like targa and un-check the pre-multiplied option.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for the reply Krueger.
ok so i have tried the targa format with the pre-multiplied turned off and i get the same result as before, in both after effects and photoshop. Im saving in 32bit and with the alpha split off as well.
i have noticed that in the interpret footage option in after affects no matter if i save it with pre-multiplied off or on i always get the same result a bit of a greyish border, and when i select pre-multiplied in the interpret footage i get a whiter border.
also when i click on guess it always goes for straight.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Sounds weird, can you post a frame? You might have to zip it to attach it here.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

yep can do. 🙂
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Is the attachments down as Ive uploaded it twice now a rar file and a tga this is try no3
or is it a minimum posts thing?
Message 7 of 7
Steve_Curley

Area will NOT accept .rar files, that's why Krueger said "You might have to zip it".

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report