Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vray Quad menus and ALL scripts disappear and start greyed out and "missing"

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jesped
1018 Views, 4 Replies

Vray Quad menus and ALL scripts disappear and start greyed out and "missing"

All of a sudden 3ds Max says Vray menus are "missing":

and any script I install is "missing" :

because for some stupid reason this piece of crap skips loading it at start saying "Hidden/System startup script"

and neither those files/folder are hidden...

I already checked this useless guide: 
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Severa...

which, oh surprise, solved *nothing*. My permissions are good, my user is an Administrator, I took ownership again of all files and folders, ...   and nothing.

Of course, uninstalling and reinstalling the whole 3dsmax and Vray did NOTHING, which says a lot about Autodesk uninstallers.

If I put a script in c:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2021\MacroScripts\ it loads ok...   but if it goes in the default installation folder c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2021 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\ it keeps saying that stupid "Hidden/System startup script" and skipping it.

This sh|t is driving me crazy...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mr.Mxyzptlk
in reply to: jesped

Did you try asking on the Vray forums? Chaos employees are always helpful.

Message 3 of 5
jesped
in reply to: Mr.Mxyzptlk

No, but it's not a Vray problem. It's a 3ds Max problem, as it happens with ANY script I install.

Message 4 of 5
daniel

I had the same problem with 3ds Max 2023 and it seems to be related to the new security features see here...

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAXDEV/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-615D14FB-0F2D-4801-B381-1128C4128C70

I am using Windows 11, so I am not sure if this is by design or just a W11 problem, but the user profile AppData folder is hidden by default since years under Windows. So all user macroscripts get blocked in my case and it seems for others.

I moved the script usermacros folder from it's original location up to the Autodesk folder in the homefolder, which fixed the problem.

From here...
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\3dsMax\2023 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros
to
%USERPROFILE%\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\ENU\usermacros

The %USERPROFILE%\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\ path is there anyways and there are no hidden folders in this path.

Message 5 of 5
mschramp

Sorry for the necropost but I've been trying to figure this out all week and finally got it. I'm on Windows 11 and 3dsMax 2024, the steps I used to fix it were:

1. Open command prompt (as admin if it isn't working)
  2. cd %USERPROFILE% (to navigate to your user folder)
  3. attrib -h AppData (to unhide AppData)
  4. cd AppData (change directory to appdata folder)
  5. attrib -s Local (remove the system attribute from the Local folder)

Not sure why this is a thing, but it works for me now. If the steps above don't work just check every directory along the path to your ENU folder for h (hidden) or s (system) attributes (by typing attrib /d to list directory attributes)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report