Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verticle Snap Toggle Failed

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
DDzxy
397 Views, 6 Replies

Verticle Snap Toggle Failed

I was trying to snap a verticle from an object to another's, yet I failed like there was an invisible object between them. I double checked and made sure there was no floating verticles. This is really annoying. I am using 2014 version of 3dxmax.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DDzxy
in reply to: DDzxy

This is the fullscreen shot

Message 3 of 7
darawork

Hi,

Things like this happen when you're using large scale units, and then try to do small tasks when zoomed in. It can happen because you have your system units in meters, but are working on something that is millimeters in range.
Or, the item you are working on is far away from the world centerpoint (0,0,0). There are resulting inaccuracies the further you get away from 0,0,0.

I initially thought it might be that you have your snap set to 2.5D or 2D, but I can see you have it at 3D.

Hopefully this will explain it a bit for you. To fix it I would check your system units or distance away from 0,0,0.

Regards,  

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 7
DDzxy
in reply to: darawork

Thanks for your reply darawork! The project was set to centimeters so I could not change that. I saw there was an Origin setting under System Unit Scale, yet I could not change it either. Does the "Distance form origin" have anything to do with the problem I am facing? 

DDzxy_0-1669789178880.png

Message 5 of 7
darawork

Hi,

That 'distance from origin' slider just shows the user the resultant viewport innacuracies that come with the current system units. It's not a 'settings' type slider, more of a graph. If you move the slider, it shows what it is like moving an object further or closer to the origin (0,0,0). You can see that the further you slide it to the right, the resultant inaccuracies go up. This mimicks what happens if you have an object or scene really far away from the origin. E.g. snaps become less accurate, faces start to get displayed incorrectly, moving objects gets jerky and unpredictable etc.
Changing the system units; this slider graph will display the extent of inaccuracies... it will be more inaccurate with large system units like meters, and less with millimeters. Much like a sliding scale.

This is why we should always work close to the origin (0,0,0), with the correct system units according to what size objects/scene we are modelling. 

This is perhaps why you're getting sketchy vertex snaps, and it's the first thing I'd check if it was happening to me. Other than that, it may also be down to old graphics drivers, unhotfixed bugs in the version of Max you're using or a lack of ability of hardware to run the software correctly.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 7
Diffus3d

Personally, I just zoom out a little bit and try again.  Works for me.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 7
darawork

Hi, are you having any luck yet? Is the snapping still waaaay off?
Did anything above help?

Hope you got it sorted, just checking in.

Btw, you say your system units are in 'Centimeters' and that you cannot change that.
Why not, you always have a choice in Max to change the scale mid project.

Is that bit locked out, And if so, I wonder why?

Best regards, 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report