Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using adding geometry compound objects

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
689 Views, 8 Replies

using adding geometry compound objects

hello

im looking for a tutorial which shows how to add geometry connecting  2 separate objects into one using compound objects .  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

- select the object go to modify and select Attach then select the other object you wish to attach, then select the adjoining vetices then weld it if you want.

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

doing what you mentioned is'nt working for me , the weld function wont appear with vertices or edges on . here is the tutorial i am following ,i abandoned the previous one . it clearly says add geometry and weld , it mentions compound objects . please take a look .i need to weld the body parts .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgysNSBR-Zk&list=WL&index=20&t=764s

secondly i need to learn how to dress the dummy with the prints that i have , where do i start to do that ? clothes colors details etc  same goes for face and head such as hair .  

Message 4 of 9
rendermaster

i am afraid you might get messed up by using compound.. anyhow check this:

Untitled.jpg

after Compound, select proBoolean then select Union then start picking the object you wish to attach.

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

i might abandon this step since i need to dress the dummies so i dont need the body.Can you please take a look at my messages regarding text to 3DO and the clothing ,googles ,hats etc these are WW2 pilots . If you wish to see the prints let me know where to post them . 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

here is my objective ,once i learn to dress one .facial expressions etc i should be able to make others off different nationalities . Can you help with guiding me to tutorials for this purpose .rgds

Message 7 of 9
Daf
Advisor

Why don't you use pre-made base meshes like Daz Studio or MakeHuman for your bodies - then all you have to worry about is the clothing/uniforms. Making the bodies from Max is really slowing you down and probably giving you premature gray hair! 😉

Just a thought ...

Daf

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Daf

hello DAF

i did see make human before joining 3DSMAX on the web but found it toyish and extremely limited .Also i need to convert to to text then convert to 3DO for IL2 simulator  and the tool in 3GDSMAX buggy buggy was made for that purpose . I am installing DAZ  now and will see what its all about .  if i cannot convert to text then its useless to me  . Do you know of any good videos to learn dressing a WW2 pilot ? googles hats uniforms ? i need to make objects as per my prints . I want to start with RAF pilots then move on to USA Germany and Japan . I have abandoned one tutorial and was happy with another one till it started to get complicated and i could not follow the actions .Many actions happen very quick even if you slow down and the buttons they click dont work for me on my copy . Example when copying the second leg she clicked her mouse and the second leg appeared in the right place !!! no mirror nothing , i cannot do that . Her tutorial is full of actions i cannot do . 

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

hello DAF

i did see make human before joining 3DSMAX on the web but found it toyish and extremely limited .Also i need to convert to to text then convert to 3DO for IL2 simulator  and the tool in 3GDSMAX buggy buggy was made for that purpose . I am installing DAZ  now and will see what its all about .  if i cannot convert to text then its useless to me  . Do you know of any good videos to learn dressing a WW2 pilot ? googles hats uniforms ? i need to make objects as per my prints . I want to start with RAF pilots then move on to USA Germany and Japan . I have abandoned one tutorial and was happy with another one till it started to get complicated and i could not follow the actions .Many actions happen very quick even if you slow down and the buttons they click dont work for me on my copy . Example when copying the second leg she clicked her mouse and the second leg appeared in the right place !!! no mirror nothing , i cannot do that . Her tutorial is full of actions i cannot do . 

I would start with a very basic tutorial, so you get some basic knowledge of the commands and modeling workflows.

Something like that.

Try to learn at least these few things:

• The modeling commands inside editablePoly/Editpoly and the Ribbon: How they work and why they fail in a given situation. The differences between editableMesh and editablePoly. And at least some of the build-in shortcuts like: Shift-Extrude or Shift-Clone.(That`s what she is using in the tutorial.)
  • The modifier stack, some of the modifiers (like Bend,Twist,Spherify..)  and how you can use them to aid the modeling process.
  • How to transform sub components like vertices,polygons or edges and elements using WorkingPivot.
  • The different coordinate systems and how to use them for modeling.
  • Some of the Freeform Tools inside the Ribbon.

I think these are the essentials.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report