Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo command is BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN

94 REPLIES 94
Message 1 of 95
Anonymous
2260 Views, 94 Replies

Undo command is BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN

Approximately 25% of the time, the Undo command is simply not available, or only the last 2 or 3 commands are undoable. Also, certain commands are often missing from the Undo list (ie the commands I performed just before and after a certain action are listed, but one is missing) Is it just me?

(PS I haven't installed 2009 Service Pack 1, but I don't see this topic listed among the fixes)
3ds Max Design 2009 32 bit, Direct3d 9; Win XP SP2 32 bit with 3GB switch
(and no intellimouse)
94 REPLIES 94
Message 2 of 95
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

the same for me!
max2009 is definatly not usable in production !
Message 3 of 95
Anonymous

its not broken. its just how it works... how its always worked.

certain operations will wipe out the undo stack - reset xforms and colapsing being a few. some operations dont go into the stack at all, and others (like some script based things) eitehr get broken into many undo items or lump many operations into one.

undo is also context sensitive, like undoing uv unwrap operations, or viewport changes.

its a strange system and indeed, easy to get burned by if you arent paying attantion and saving/holding regularly, but its not "broken' and has never been a real production issue since its always been like that right from max 1.

as for the res of max 2009... yeah, its pretty damned broken 😛
Message 4 of 95
Anonymous

Sorry to disagree, but it is indeed broken (or maybe damaged would be a better word)...the stack is often empty for no legitimate reason, and commands that are normally undoable are sometimes missing from the stack. The latter case is actually worse because it is so confusing!
Message 5 of 95
Anonymous

After this crashed UNDO on max 2009 I go back to max2008 and guess what? THE SAME !
I use 3ds max from 10 years now, and I never meet this error. Don t say its always been there. I currently creating a charaacter rig and every time I enable the animation button I meet this damn undo error. I never see that before and I seriously need a solution.
Message 6 of 95
DavidDustin4627

I have seen both the loss of UNDO which requires Max to be restarted and the attmpt to use UNDO and have Max Crash.

Seems to happen often in 2009, but there is not a repeatable pattern as to how to get it there.

David
Message 7 of 95
Anonymous

Yes, we also noticed the broken undo in Max 2009. But the grey undo was was the least of our 3d Max 15 problems. network rendering, not using pan MMB, slow views, much crashing...
Message 8 of 95
DavidDustin4627

Robert,

Have you installed SP1?

Since we did, a good share of the problems improved to managable...

David
Message 9 of 95
Anonymous

Robert,

Have you installed SP1?

David

Thank you for the suggestion David, but I was one of the first to install the 3ds max 2009 trial and probably one of the first to uninstall, so I did not wait for SP1 to uninstall. If SP1 fix all these problems then perhaps Autodesk should have waited until product was ready and not release bug software so early? Should my company have to pay good money to do beta test for Autodesk? I think max will only go downhill the more bloated, more plugins, and more code is added onto the very old core. I think 2009 is worst release ever? I think perhaps Autodesk has no love for users anymore, just love for users money?

We have 5 seats 3ds max 9 and vray and I doubt our company will ever upgrade because they work very nice! We also use SketchUp now.

I'm not upset with you David. You are very nice for trying to help. thank you! If you say 2009 is much better now after SP1, perhaps I should install trial with SP1 and try again?
Message 10 of 95
DavidDustin4627

Robert,

Have you installed SP1?

David

Thank you for the suggestion David, but I was one of the first to install the 3ds max 2009 trial and probably one of the first to uninstall, so I did not wait for SP1 to uninstall. If SP1 fix all these problems then perhaps Autodesk should have waited until product was ready and not release bug software so early? Should my company have to pay good money to do beta test for Autodesk? I think max will only go downhill the more bloated, more plugins, and more code is added onto the very old core. I think 2009 is worst release ever? I think perhaps Autodesk has no love for users anymore, just love for users money?

We have 5 seats 3ds max 9 and vray and I doubt our company will ever upgrade because they work very nice! We also use SketchUp now.

I'm not upset with you David. You are very nice for trying to help. thank you! If you say 2009 is much better now after SP1, perhaps I should install trial with SP1 and try again?

Robert,
No worries here....

I agree the we should not pay to Beta test a program. I liked Max 9 for it's stability, but 2008 and 2009 seem to be greatly improved in viewport speed in that regard.
Seriously speaking (and I am a very vocal software owner and user), I think 2009 is looking good at this point.

I also agree that we don't need more features, just make what is there.. Stable. Unfortunatley that doesn't seem to pay the bills.

David
Message 11 of 95
Anonymous

Ok so you think that the upcoming release just add new functionalities over and over because that makes money, and the software will not be debuged because that s not make money?
What do you think about users??
they are professionals! they prefer have a stable software much more than an unstable one with more functiunalities.

If it s the new autodesk politic I think I will definatly swap to another
Message 12 of 95
renochew

Yes, I am pretty sure that the UNDO is indeed broken (my version is 2008), in contrary to those who claim that it is due to running script or what not. It broke in two sense, firstly, the undo chain break so easily once your scene become moderately complex, you never get through undoing more than a few steps. Though some people may claim it is how it works, but for me, it just make the undo useless. Secondly, it is literally broken, It's rather random and I can't give exact procedure to reproduce the problem, but once it broke when you are working, the undo menu will gray out forever and you need to restart max. I think if you are both Maya and Max user, you will be much more easy to realize the problem with undo in max, in Maya, you can undo a lot of steps, something like 20 or 30 steps, try that in max, Really annoying.
Message 13 of 95
DavidDustin4627

Ok so you think that the upcoming release just add new functionalities over and over because that makes money, and the software will not be debuged because that s not make money?
What do you think about users??
they are professionals! they prefer have a stable software much more than an unstable one with more functiunalities.

If it s the new autodesk politic I think I will definatly swap to another
\

Loran,
I am not exactly sure what you are asking but....
I am not implying AutoDesk has evil intent or there is a conspiracy to somehow hinder Max users. That would be ridiculous.

There seems to be a consistant theme with Max users disireing Stability.
Those of us that make our living using Max NEED Stability.

David
Message 14 of 95
Anonymous

I can only agree... time by time the undo seems to be disabled... not only empty but disabled.
There just one help, restart 3dsmax.
I encounter this 3 times in a week.. well 2009 misses another 6 month of beta testing..
Message 15 of 95
Anonymous

Ok I have found one action that, in my case, seems to always clear the undo stack: in the Material Editor, drag a blank map button onto an existing map to clear it.
Message 16 of 95
Steve_Curley

It does indeed Gary - I can confirm it.

Problem is, I can also confirm it in Max 7, 8, 9, 2008 and even GMax 1.2 (Max 4 based IIRC).

So while I don't disagree that it's a royal PITA, it is not a Max 2009 specific problem.

Keep looking though, because we can produce a list of "things to avoid if you need lots of undo's".

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 17 of 95
Anonymous

Yeah I don't know about you all but frankly Max 2009 has been the most stable version of Max for me since version 6. I really have had no problems with it save the slow wait state like times of the loading of track view, dope sheet, layer menu and select by name tool, but with sp1 now this is rocking. Sure they did not add all that much one the surface of 2009 but the stability and window performance at least for me was worth the upgrade and I am an oft critic of max. KILL the stupid wheels now Autodesk it's useless and for Cad idiot engineers who want Max to be Autocad and give me back my screen real estate! Rant off. I am sorry that I cannot help you out since I don't know whats wrong with your machine but no stack problems here what so ever.
Message 18 of 95
billnuttall

in maya you can undo until the cows come home, nothing seems to break it. now, who is it that owns maya again?
Message 19 of 95
Anonymous

Another one who is suffering the UNDO pain. And it's weird, because our animators are testing my new rig and they only move/rotate objects and scrub spinners. And using MAX2008 + SP1.

Is this a recognized bug?
Message 20 of 95
DavidDustin4627

There is a SP1 for 2008???

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report