Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

super spray issue

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1386 Views, 11 Replies

super spray issue

Can someone tell my why this particle spray will not render? at frame 558 only the left spray renders. It shows in the scene

strange the right super spray stops generating around frame 500

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

file

Message 3 of 12
irishman_team_kilber

sorry i cannot view your file due to i have a lower version of max. make sure you have the particle generation end time set to the 500 frames the display units to 500 frames and make sure your time slider is set to the same and see if that helps

Message 4 of 12
spacefrog_

Oh well ... good old superspray.  It's code must be nearly 25 yrs. old already. You should'nt use it for such high particle counts in my opinion. I think you are simply hitting some internal particle count limit here ( my suspicion is that it lies at somewhere near 65k particles per system with the old legacy particle systems )

Proof:

As you have set the "percent of particles" display amount to 10% only, only 10% of your total particles are created and displayed in the viewport. This apparently works without hitting the limit.

At rendertime, 3ds Max tries to create all 100% of particles, but fails so because of some internal limit ( my guess )

You can easily repro this in the viewport too, by dialing the "percent of particles" spinner up to 100%: now even the viewport fails to display the particles

This only happens with the right particle system, because it starts earlier to emit ( at frame 400 ). The left one starts later at frame 507, thus does'nt hit the limit .. )

So either tune your particle spawn rate or your particle spawn time frame

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: spacefrog_

What would you recommend to use for a decent spray affect? PF Source? The last time i tried using that i had to have two deflectors because it made a conical spray and not a flat spray.

Message 6 of 12
irishman_team_kilber

it all depends what sort of spray your looking for? example a fire hydrant water spray 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

In this instance im looking for a spray to look like a pressure washer spray. Fanned and flatspray1.pngspray2.png

Message 8 of 12
irishman_team_kilber

here is a basic tutorial on sprays in max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0dTZFkfYM

if you have Deconstructing the Elements with 3ds max by Pete Draper that is a good book  https://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Elements-3ds-Max-Plug-ins/dp/0240521269

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks @irishman_team_kilber However i think i need more advanced material then this. You are right it is pretty basic. I am starting to think that I need to use PF source or 3d party at this point.

Message 10 of 12
irishman_team_kilber

if you have the money i would go for a plugin example realflow https://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/realflow-3dsmax/

I just did a basic search on youtube 3ds max super spray tutorials they will bring up billions becareful with the ones with the music playing i hate them ones

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

ya i wish I could afford $1200 for something like realflow. for sure

LOL I too hate the music tutorials

Message 12 of 12
irishman_team_kilber

mmm then i would look at that pete drapers book he is the best at making special effects in 3ds max without any plugins

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report